Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Why we call ROM in 8051 a non-volatile memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshal

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts!

As we know a ROM is a non-volatile memory. It means it can't be erase once written. But in any microcontroller (here I am talking about 8051) whenever we burn a code in the 8051 then it erase its ROM content and rewrite the new code. Its mean the ROM in 8051 is not a non-volatile memory. Isn't the violation of the concept about ROM?

Thank you all.

Thank you for your reply. I know it has EEPROM. I didn't mention in my post#1 because I want to listen it from you. But now tell me if it is also a type of ROM and it is erasable then how it could be non-volatile? Why can't we say it volatile on the behalf of its erasing and rewritten feature?

Regards,
Princess

Non-volatile means it hold its contents even if power is down. After power-up it will have same contents. On other hand, volatile memory loose it content if power goes down.

Reactions: Eshal

Eshal

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Got it. Your answer is point to point. Very good. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back