Why we add air gap to inductor and not to transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABOELLEEL

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why we add air gap to inductor and not to transformer?
I know for inductor to avoid saturation and store energy but why not for transformer?

Dear ABOELLEEL
Hi
store energy but w
What do you mean by that ?
And about transformer : because we have dphi/dt , thus it can't be saturated simply , however at SMPS systems at transformers we have to create gap on it's core , because the square wave , would be enough , to saturate the core !
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thank you for your reply
I mean that air gap store energy or there is no energy store in the core.
Simply I always to add air gap to inductors that i design but for transformer i do not add air gap and someone ask me why i do that i forget why i do that!

Air gap can't store energy ! it will decrease the permeability and it will add : Rg+Rcore ( rg added ) . to prevent from nonlinearity .
And at some of transformers we have to use air gap , but if you're referring to the usual transformers , as i mentioned at past because the polarity will change we won't have any specific problem ( don't forget if your waveform is square wave , all things will change )

Yes it is a square waveform. High frequency transformer >10 kHz (SMPS transformers as full bridge converter) and it is filtering inductor.

for SMPS at h bridge , because the polarity will change , ( polarity of transformer ) . there will be , lower problems , but because the square wave , at an obvious time can be considered as a DC signal , and you'd better to create gap space in core , thus you can achieve higher powers .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…