Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the higher is the gain the better is the SNR performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang830

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
The noise and signal are amplified by the same gain.Why the higher gain, the good SNR performance?

thanks

noise and gain

Noise is not only come from the input of your amplifer, but also from inside of your amplifer, which is generated by transistors resistors and so on in the amplifer. With higher gain, the second parts contribute less for snr.

Re: noise and gain

Also every component has an operating range...
assuming noise power spectral density to be constant, the amplifier only enhances noise of its own range...whereas the average value of noise remains more or less the same... that is y the SNR improves

noise and gain

hi all,
i guess differential amplifier provides common mode noise rejection too. which will definitely result in high SNR.

regards,
Sudhir.K.A

hi dear all,
Someone told me that the higher gain means the kower bandwidth, then the total integrated noise decreases,so the improvment of SNR.

Pls. comments!

chang830 said:
hi dear all,
Someone told me that the higher gain means the kower bandwidth, then the total integrated noise decreases,so the improvment of SNR.

Pls. comments!

I guess you mean the gain bandwidth.
For a amplifier gain*bandwidth=GBW

So large gain will low bandwidth if other condition remains the same.

noise and gain

for simple output capacitor dominant one pole system, the higher output real part, the higher time constant, and therefore bandwidth is lower

refer you to the D. M. Pozar's Microwave Engineering

Your amplifier will boosts the noise in its BW.
You could decrease the nosie level in your system by using a smart decoupling caps on supplies, differntial toplogies, ground shielding, empedance matching ......

Thanks

noise and gain

i agree with stober, high gain only can reduce the noise caused by the second stage and the third ....

noise and gain

I agree with stober, noise coming from opamp self is not increased by gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back