why source bypass cap can cause low-frequency oscillations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vale

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In GaAs FET bias network, a source resistor is used to set the DC point and bypassed by an cap. Why is it said that this cap may cause oscillation?
Another question:
Is it necessary to make the FET unconditional stable (such as add a parellel resistor at output) before matching networks design? Is it safe that just chosing Γ_s and Γ_l away from stable circles?

Re: why source bypass cap can cause low-frequency oscillatio

I will give u my idea here,

First this bypass Cap is a feedback Cap, that sets a pole and zero in your closed loop gain responce. Thing is usually the value is chosen to be quite big but if u work in MCW that cant be the case due to low Frequency resonance. Also all SMD MCW caps after a specific frequncy deviate from the ideal responce and behave like RLC circuit so there is also inductance in series with your Cap. That means if u dont carefully sellect your CAP, with high SRF from your operation frequency, like 10*Fop u may get in trouble. Also that feedback cap may create such a phase shift at low frequencies that you get a resonance.

Btw never all this happen to me so dont get panicked But there is always the chance.

That resistance u want to add at the output has an effect on the gain of your amp but it will shift your Output stability cyrcles out of the Smith Chart.
U may also play with your High frequency Decoupling caps at the RFC. That helps some times. I suggest u try to move the Stability circles out of the Smith Chart as possibe. But if u operate as a certain frequency and u guarantee Zl and Zin for stable operation i dont think u will have any problems at all.

vale

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…