Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why sim is not reqd in cdma phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbmanick

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

why sim card is not reqd in cdma phones? why they are giving along with handset? is it some business oriented plan? with sim also can we use cdma phones?

with thanks in advance,

kbmani

Hi,

there are different subsystems in cdma system i.e cdmaone, cdma2000.....tdma, fdma.....so it's depend........as I know new cdma sub-system are using sim card.

this issue for not using sim card in phone was in the past subsystem.

Best Regards,

Techinically speaking, cdma phones can also work with SIM card (in fact, it has another name). However, US companies chosed to do without sim card. As a consequence, their phone cann't work in other countries. I knew China requires cdma phone using SIM card to enable inter-operation.

cdma phones also have sim card.
So, it is improper to say that cdma phones does not have sim card.

There are 2 types of cdma terminals
1) Non UIM terminals in which the network parameters are saved in the terminal it self(in a part of flash memory called NAM).
2) The other type is UIM terminals in which the network parameters are saved in memorey of SIM card.

Best Regards
Mostafa

CDMA phones do have sim cards infact it is called RUIM(reusable user identification module) card. Usually in CDMA it is integrated inside the set. But sets that needs external ruim card as the sim in GSM phones are also available.

this is not a technical issue at all...rather a business point of view..
mostly companies are using CDMA for WLL purposes..and its the companies' choice that they sale SIMless connections.some companies (my company also) are giviving CDMA-WLL connections with SIMs also...

Regards

What you said was for old CDMA2000 technigues...
But for the customer issues, they now applied sim to all cdma systems....

SIM is made a part of GSM standard ......

Status
Not open for further replies.