Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why normalize coupling matrix to FBW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthackst

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am going through "Microstrip Filters for RF Microwave Applications 2nd Edition" by Hong, and am not entirely satisfied by the explanation of coupled resonator circuits (chapter 7). When analyzing these circuits, they quickly dive into forming an impedance matrix, which makes sense. But the next step is to normalize the nxn impedance matrix thusly:

\[\left[ Z\right] = \omega_0 (L) (FBW) \cdot \left[\bar{Z}\right]\]

Where Zbar is the normalized matrix, from which relevant S parameters are eventually extracted. This is the first step towards deriving the nxn coupling matrix (and later the n+2xn+2 matrix).

I understand why it makes sense to normalize by removing wL, but why normalize by the fractional bandwidth (FBW)? If anyone can explain or has another source to direct me to which could provide better understanding, it would be much appreciated. Currently the only other good source I have found is Cameron's "Microwave filters for communication systems : fundamentals, design, and applications".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back