Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why need MAX232 for RS232????.....help me pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

darlling5147

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why the need for max232

why we need MAX232 before RS232....i searched from yahoo/google but i dun really understand the explaination...can someone tell me?

max232 convert signal from TTL level to +and- level or in the other way round?
the output of PIC microcontroller is + level or both +- level?

this is wat i confusing

why we use max232

MAX232 converts voltage level from TTL aprox. to +/- 12V.

rs232 to ttl mosfet

Explenations on RS-232 level converters, incuding the MAX232, can be found in several web sites ..
Here is one example:
**broken link removed**
.. see section 4 ..

Regards,
IanP

why we need max232

firstly,i would like to thx those who replied my post.....

the following is wat i wrote in my report, pls feel free to drop me comment/correct if got mistake

The output signal of PIC16F877A is in TTL level from 0V to +5V. But for COM port on PC, it needs both positive and negative voltage levels. Therefore, a RS 232 Level Converter is necessary to perform +15V and -15V.

how to make a rs232 to ttl/cmos converter

hi,
RS232 is a standard . This standard defines the signal level requirements at transmitter and receiver. Therefore to make it compatible with the TTL output an interface IC is required . The interface IC should convert the TTL logic to RS232 standard and vice versa .MAX 232 is one such IC which is used for this conversion.

mx232 create negative voltage

prajit said:
hi,
RS232 is a standard . This standard defines the signal level requirements at transmitter and receiver. Therefore to make it compatible with the TTL output an interface IC is required . The interface IC should convert the TTL logic to RS232 standard and vice versa .MAX 232 is one such IC which is used for this conversion.

thx for ur reply....it is really usefull for me......:D

need of max232

max232 converts from ttl level to cmos level
it's important in serial communications specially between pc and microcontroller i.e

why need max232 to rs232

max232 converts from ttl level to cmos level ??

It's just a line level translator between TTL and standard RS232 !

We often use it to drive MOSFETs too..

serial level converter max232

vsmGuy said:
max232 converts from ttl level to cmos level ??

It's just a line level translator between TTL and standard RS232 !

We often use it to drive MOSFETs too..

RS232 has nothing to deal with CMOS logic.
For RS232 standard, logic 1 represents -1.5 to -25v (typical -12 v)
logic 0 represents 1.5v to 25v (typical 12v)

Now, you might have used MOSFET and all but MAX232 does only level translator and there are other ICs are also available. That does such jobs with varying voltage and power ranges

why we need ttl logic in max232

thx for allllll the repliesssssssssssss................muak!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.