Why MPEG2 MP@LL and MPEG1 have different bit rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyzhu

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
MPEG2 MP@LL and MPEG1?

Hi all,

I heard that MPEG2 and MPEG1 use same compression methods.

MPEG2's MP@LL and MPEG1 are all 4:2:0, 352*288*30. But MPEG2's MP@LL is 4Mbit/s and MPEG1 is 1.5Mbit/s. Why they have different bit rates?

And if I want to do 352*288*30 video compression. Shall I choose MPEG2 or MPEG1??

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Best regards,
Davy

Re: MPEG2 MP@LL and MPEG1?

Dear davyzhu,
MEPG-1 is the standard for VCDs and MPEG-2 is standard for DVDs......
They both use the same tools but MPEG-2 has few advance tools like Interlaced Videos......... Otherwise no major difference...........
Actually the target bitrate of MPEG-1 was for VCDs only hence it is a constant bit rate standard too.............. while MPEG-2 has a facility for Variable Bit rate and its peak bit rate is 10 Mbps and minimium it can go below 1Mbps too

If you want to do compression of CIF [352*288*30] then u can use both standards but it also depends upon what is ur target application..... MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 are both for multimedia. But i thin MPEG-2 is mostly done on FULL-D1 and for CIF it is prefered to use MPEG-1 but again i think it will be a constant bit rate...

Best Regards,

davyzhu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…