Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why most of the antenna has an input impedance of 50 ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugart

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently designing a bowtie antenna using ansoft hfss for my final year project. Can anyone help me to explain why does most of the antenna has an input impedance of 50ohm. Is 50ohm consider as an effective impedance matching?If yes why?

It is because the standard coax impedance in RF&MW is 50Ω, and also virtually all test&measurement instruments use this refference impedance, also many devices and circuits are matched to 50Ω.

50Ω was chosen for coax as a tradeoff for both TX and RX operation. By optimizing the coax size, 2 optimum values were obtained:
- approx 37 ohms for maximum power handling;
- aprox 76 ohms for minimum attenuation.
50Ω is a tradeof between the two.

Where only reception is needed, or low power, 75Ω is used - TV, and old analog telecom lines.

Hi,
The reply given to your question was really good.But if you feel like reading about it more clearly, u visit to microwaves101.com.Its a excellent website to know about all theses things in a much better way.

SAntom

sugart,
See **broken link removed**. It's an article by Howard Johnson called "Why 50 Ohms?". It appeared in the 9/14/2000 issue of EDN magazine. It has a nice explanation of why 50 Ohms is used for PCB traces as well as coaxial cables.
Regards,
Kral

bcoz coax has 50 ohm resistance,if we use any other impedence instead of 50 ohms,we'll face some reflection

tanx mates for all ur answers...it really helped me alot

Eugen_E said:
It is because the standard coax impedance in RF&MW is 50Ω, and also virtually all test&measurement instruments use this refference impedance, also many devices and circuits are matched to 50Ω.

50Ω was chosen for coax as a tradeoff for both TX and RX operation. By optimizing the coax size, 2 optimum values were obtained:
- approx 37 ohms for maximum power handling;
- aprox 76 ohms for minimum attenuation.
50Ω is a tradeof between the two.

Where only reception is needed, or low power, 75Ω is used - TV, and old analog telecom lines.

i really proud of my friend

Added after 1 minutes:

your answer hit the nail ..simply awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back