Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why Gilbert noise figure is more at IF frequency than at RF frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapil86

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Respected sir/mam

I have designed Gilbert mixer, When i do noise figure(NF) simulation at IF (2 MHz) and RF (2.4 GHz) Frequencies, i found that NF at IF is more than (4dB) to RF frequency. What is the region for that. someone help me please.

Thank you

Re: Gilbert Noise figure

4dB is Not bad for passive mixer, you can compare it with Hittite or Mini-Circuits mixers.

sir, i am talking about active mixer not passive and i want to know the region, why noise figure is more at IF frequency than RF frequency.
Thank you

could you give more details about your test results?
the region is dependent on your requirements, you can refer to other vendors.

I assume you are feeding input at bottom device. Noise figure will be dominated by the noise figure of that device.

4 db is a good number although you will likely get worse performance with real L.O. source sideband noise.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

kapil86

let's start from the basics: a mixer is a device that up/downconvert a signal. You should have an input LO signal, and input RF signal and an output that in you case is RF+LO and RF-LO.
I'm assuming that you have RF=2400MHz, LO=2398MHz and IF=2MHz. Could you please confirm?

There is also an unwanted RF signal feedthrough to IF port.

You are saying that RF noise figure at 2400MHz (so calculated at RF leakage) is 4 dB better than the IF noise figure (so, for example, RF NF=6dB, IF NF=10 dB).

If all said is true, you're doing some mistake, as your RF gain should be very low, so you're not interested at all to RF NF.

What is your IF gain? Is it reasonable and comparable with your calculation?

Mazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back