Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronic Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register Log in

Why does overload dissipate so much heat that it causes fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Joined
Apr 17, 2011
Messages
550
Helped
24
Reputation
48
Reaction score
23
Trophy points
1,298
Activity points
7,216
We often use an "extender" to be able to connect multiple plugs to the same socket in the wall. This is just a plug with a box having space to connect multiple plugs. At other times we may use an extension lead.
If we connect a load of high power equipment, it creates an overload which can even cause fire.
Heat is dissipated when there is resistance in the flow of current. Resistance also exists in wires but at a very small amount. When an overload occurs precisely what part of the whole setup dissipate such much heat that the extender or extension lead may catch fire?
 

KlausST

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2014
Messages
18,006
Helped
4,038
Reputation
8,076
Reaction score
3,952
Trophy points
113
Activity points
118,901
Hi,

EVERY part in your extender that carries current dissipates power: P= I * I * R

Twice the current makes 4 x power.

Maybe it is a bad connection or may it is the sum of all heated parts that causes fire.

Buy a high quality one. The cost is less than building a new house.

Klaus
 

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Joined
Apr 17, 2011
Messages
550
Helped
24
Reputation
48
Reaction score
23
Trophy points
1,298
Activity points
7,216
I being an engineer myself take precautions. I was just asking for common knowledge.
 

jiripolivka

Advanced Member level 5
Joined
May 21, 2010
Messages
2,832
Helped
831
Reputation
1,660
Reaction score
802
Trophy points
1,393
Location
Santa Barbara
Activity points
22,012
I being an engineer myself take precautions. I was just asking for common knowledge.
Your problem was solved by Edison in ~1890. He designed a FUSE to prevent overheating anything in all installation due to overload current.

Keep all contacts in a good state and read the labels indicating a maximum rated current.
Overloading is simply not permissible in a safe system.

In one song it was said" who puts nails in place of fuses, he will start building a new home".
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Top