Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do we use gate driver in some power amplifier circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_ocean

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all..am new here

HI,
I want to know why we use the gate driver in some some power amplifier circuits.what is the actual reason.

Tell me if you know

Hi all..am new here

Even i was having same problem in second year of my engineering, hence i wil try to explain u a bit what i have understood last year..

gate drive (in this case is a bidirectional current source, which can control the limits for gate current, which in turn can control the slew rate of power amplifier.

If you are still in doubt, please wait for someone else to reply.

If my reply helps, do not forget to click on helped tab.

Hi all..am new here

this is correct INS-ANI as i remember

Re: Hi all..am new here

Just wondering, are you talking about MOSFETs or what?

Hi all..am new here

the most important characteristic is that gate driver like mosfet has no current throgh it

Hi,

All power semiconductor devices need gate pulses to get turned ON.
There r circuits which trigger pulses to those gates, these ve to be controlled to maintain the slew rate v desire. Then some power semiconductor devices such as SCR can be switched ON by a gate pulse nd cannot be switched OFF by any means other than itself attaining zero current condition. If these like devices r used then v need to control everything. So, Gate drivers are used in amplifiers.

Regards,
Avinash.S.

INS-ANI had the best info so far the gate driver does 2 importent things it turns the driver on/off if it's a switch or controls how on if it's linear [never off], the 2nd job it does is to prevent changes in gate/drain voltage from affecting gate/source voltage since a power fet looks like 2 capacitors in series bypassed by a wildly variable current leak.
BTW for junction transistor outputs this circuits a "pre-driver".

Status
Not open for further replies.