Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do we neglect Cgd's contribution to the output current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eesurgeon

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a MOSFET, while deriving the transit frequency wT (defined as where the current gain is unity), it is common to neglect the current fed forward through Cgd (i.e. the output current io = gm*vgs and not gm*vgs-jw*Cgd).

What is the reason for doing so?

For a MOSFET, while deriving the transit frequency wT (defined as where the current gain is unity), it is common to neglect the current fed forward through Cgd (i.e. the output current io = gm*vgs and not gm*vgs-jw*Cgd).

What is the reason for doing so?

No - that`s not true. That is the only input current that does exist.

No - that`s not true. That is the only input current that does exist.

LvW, thanks for your response though I do not understand what you have written.

To be more clear, I am referring to the derivation by Grey and Meyer in "Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits 5e", section 1.6.8 MOS Transistor Frequency Response. As repeated here, the input current is s*(Cgs+Cgb+Cgd)*vgs, while the output current io is approximated as gm*vgs.

Thomas Lee's "The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits 2e" states that "the gate-to-drain capacitance is considered only in the computation of the input impedance; its feedforward contribution to output current is neglected."

It is not clear to me the reason or justification for making this approximation.

My reply was related to your statement that - for finding the transition frequency wT - it would be "common to neglect the current fed forward through Cgd" .
I think, in this case, we are not allowed to neglect this input current because it is the only current through the input terminal (gate).

Regarding Thomas Lee`s book, does he speak about "normal" amplifying operation of the device or about definition of wT? Both cases are different!

My reply was related to your statement that - for finding the transition frequency wT - it would be "common to neglect the current fed forward through Cgd" .
I think, in this case, we are not allowed to neglect this input current because it is the only current through the input terminal (gate).

Regarding Thomas Lee`s book, does he speak about "normal" amplifying operation of the device or about definition of wT? Both cases are different!

I agree with the statements in your first paragraph, I used a poor choice of words. If the output of a common-source amplifier is short-circuited to ac ground and an input test current is applied, the input current is iin = s(Cgs+Cgb+Cgd)*vgs.

The current resulting from sCgd*vgs cannot be neglected which is what I believe you are saying.

And the output current io = gm*vgs-s(Cgd)*vgs.

However, the second term -s(Cgd)*vgs is dropped in derivations for transit frequencies found in many Analog IC textbooks including Gray and Meyer, resulting in the expression |io/iin| = gm/(s(Cgs+Cgb+Cgd)) so that wT = gm/(Cgs+Cgb+Cgd).

I believe that without neglecting the second term -s(Cgd)*vgs, |io/iin| = (gm-sCgd)/(s(Cgs+Cgb+Cgd)) and therefore wT = gm/(Cgs+Cgb+2Cgd).

Lee is referring to the wT figure of merit.

So my question still remains, why neglect the current -sCgd*vgs from the output current?

If you choose not to neglect Cgd, then isn't Wt=gm/(Cgs+Cgd)?
Anyway, I think, Cgd is neglected only due to the fact that Cgd will be smaller in comparison with Cgs of the MOSFET when operated in saturation.

Status
Not open for further replies.