Why DC value isn't 0 when the power supply is AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddeeee

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
when i measure ac voltage using multimeter i get a 10v and simultaneously if i measure dc voltage it gives me 3-4 v(why not dc value is 0 when the power supply is ac)?

ac and dc

well as per my knowledge the ac is always super imposed on some dc component...thatz why..
or may be the value u saw was the rms value.......may b....not sure...

Re: ac and dc

Your ac waveform is distorted and not a pure sine wave. This is common on the grid supply. There are lots of harmonics in the signal.

daddeeee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

It means your ac voltage isn't pure AC and has an average dc offset voltage of 3-4V. It could be due to the harmonics sourced from the supply lines or there could be some interference with your measurement or the circuit itself.

The ac-dc rectifier you are using is not well designed. You will get a better response if you give the details of the rectifier (OR how you are getting the dc you are measuring). The ripple factor of that rectifier is quite high (i.e. a dc component is super-imposed by an ac component).
Have a look at this book: Power Converter Circuits by William Shepherd & Li Zhang
link:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…