Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which software can be used for simulation of GPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

adel_48

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to simulate the propagation of of EM waves through the ground as well as the reflection from the surface. The main problem with the cad software that I used (HFSS, CST, Semcad) is the PML boundary conditions ? They seem to work only for a single background material and not for two half spaces (air/dielectric).

One option is to make the problem very big, use PEC boundaries and use time domain gating to separate the reflection from target from the reflection from the edges, but this seems very inefficient. I was wondering if anyone knows a different technique or a way to make PML work ?

Thank you in advance,
Adel

For the reflection from the ground structure you can try MoM code 'EMC Studio' with 'Real Ground' infinite plane structure.

There 'real_ground' block is intended to assign new material properties to ground and is structured as:

permittivity = relative permittivity of ground (dimensionless)
permeability = relative permeability of ground (dimensionless)
loss_tan = dielectric loss tangent of ground (dimensionless)
magnetic_loss_tan = magnetic loss tangent of ground (dimensionless)
conductivity = conductivity of ground in Sm/m

EMC Studio reference

Adel,

HFSS does this very well. As a matter of fact they have even added a new transient solver as well that does quite well for this from what I have heard! HFSS allows for PMLs to solve this. You just need a PML for each medium face. So if your model is a box and half is air and half is soil, for each face, you will need 2 PMLs, one for air and one for soil. This should resolve your issue.

have fun ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back