Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which relay to use in a project that controls servo motor using microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sramgrk

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ppl,

my final yr project is to control the servo motor using micro controller, i have planned to use a relay but i am not sure which one to use. I am using ULN 2003 to drive the relay which is driven by a +12V supply but the motor that we are using is +4.8V-+6V, so which relay rating should i use?? please reply

Re: Relay Doubt

Hi, i think u need to regulate the supply for the motor then used the 12v relay.

I wonder what do you need a reley for?
There is no need for a relay, unless you intend to switch the positive side of the power going to the servo .. see attached picture ..

To operate 4-6V servo you have to step down voltage from +12 to, say +5V (using for example 7805 voltage regulator) and program a mocrocontroller to send pulses (between 1ms and 2ms every 20ms) to the servos's control wire ..

**broken link removed**

Rgds,
IanP

Relay Doubt

@IanP:
I need to switch off the motor and is way i had planned to use a relay. I just didn't know which pin of the relay should be considered as input and which as output because i didn't find the pin configuration anywhere. I have got a 5V relay with me which is Goodsky gs-sh-205t...how to connect this to ULN 2003??

Here is info on SH - Relays:

**broken link removed**

and in particular on the GS-SH-205D:
**broken link removed**

Rgds,
IanP

Relay Doubt

@Ian p:
The pictures are so self-explanatory :) thanks a ton for ur help.

Can i connect the output of the relay to the MOSFET of a buck converter??

If you mean something like in the attached cartoon, can't see any reason why not ..

Rgds,
IanP

Relay Doubt

@IanP: one small doubt, should i connect the output of the ATMEL 89S52 to the relay or to the gate of MOSFET?? because in the above cartoon the control circuitry is connected somewhere else. thats y this doubt

I meant what is exactly mentioned in the above cartoon, thanks a lot for that :)

Relay Doubt

Can i directly connect the output of ULN 2003 to the GATE of the MOSFET....i intend to do the same operation that a relay does with the pulse, so can i use ULN 2003 as a driver to the MOSFET?? suggestions pls

Status
Not open for further replies.