Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which OS to install first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepu_s_s

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am new to linux. I am already having XP. Do I need to format everything and install linux first and then XP or can i continue with installing linux directly? And also how can we open MS office files in the linux?

How about PDF? Do we need to install the drivers in the linux environment also or is sufficient as we installed the drivers in the XP

I am using Ubuntu

Thanks and Regards
Deepak

Strange. It works perfectly here!

Install XP first, in your case its already there.
Then install Linux on a separate partition on harddisk.
If you are picking up any modern linux distribution, like ubuntu/suse/fedora/mandriva etc, it would automatically detect that XP is installed, and would configure the bootloader for dualboot, so that you get a menu at boot time giving both OS as choice to boot to.

PDF driver ( I assume you are talking about acrobat pdf file format => driver to print document into pdf file) is pretty standard in default installations of Linux with above distributions that I mentioned, If you still find it missing, we can help install it. It doesn't depend on XP drivers.

deepu_s_s said:
Hi,

I am new to linux. I am already having XP. Do I need to format everything and install linux first and then XP or can i continue with installing linux directly? And also how can we open MS office files in the linux?

How about PDF? Do we need to install the drivers in the linux environment also or is sufficient as we installed the drivers in the XP

I am using Ubuntu

Thanks and Regards
Deepak

1. If you need dual boot, Always first install XP then Linux.
2. Open Office opens almost all of M$ office documents (except Office2007)
3. Ubuntu comes with its own light weight PDF viewer. If you want Adobe Reader 8, you can either add medibuntu repo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu) and use apt-get or directly download and install it from Adobe website. I recommend 1st one!
4. Ubuntu will search for the drivers and install most of them. You may need to manually install scanner or printer. Google them and you will find a way!

Hi
Thanks for ur replies. I installed ubuntu

Do i need to download ubuntu or is there any version of linux which distributes the OS CD free!!

You can order the CDs under www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu, however the delivery takes 6 to 10 weeks.
Thus downloading the installation CD is mostly faster.

This may be too late, but if you have enough computing power based on your needs, you may give a try to VMWare or other virtual server softwares. It is very handy that way if you need to have both Windows and *unix side by side or, even just for the fact, to make your life easier.

You need to install XP first, then Linux. Otherwise Microsoft destroys the MBR & bootloader. Ubuntu should have OpenOffice which will open MS Office files. As for PDF, the default printer in Ubuntu is the PDF generator. Ubuntu comes with a pdf reader but get the real thing from Adobe. It's excellent.

Hi,
y have also ubunto, y completely removed windows. If you want to use windows software you can use wine / xine / vmware. Personaly I use wine / vmware

Status
Not open for further replies.