Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which opamp is good for 100MHz high pass sallen key filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitewiz

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
related:www.national.com/an/oa/oa-26.pdf

I need to design 2nd order 100MHz sallen key filter and looking for good opamp.

The cut-off frequency of the filter is 100MHz. I used LM324 opamp but this kills the

gain before 100MHz. My simulator is PSPICE and they have lots of library.

Could you please recommend any good opamp using in PSPICE ?

Chris

Re: which opamp is good for 100MHz high pass sallen key filt

The answer is simple - but it will not satisfy you:
1.) In principle it is not possible to build a real active high pass since the output of each circuit drops down with rising frequencies
2.) When you need an opamp high pass circuit with a corner frequency of 100 MHz the opamp transit frequency should be higher at least by a factor of 50 - resulting in a GBW of at least 5 GHz. Hard to find.
3.) Consequence: Use a passive filter (or use gm-C-topology in integrated form)

whitewiz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
There is no opamp for this high frequency.

you need something like a microwave filter.....kind of bits of microstrip...like you see in FM receiver

whitewiz

LvW said:
The answer is simple - but it will not satisfy you:
1.) In principle it is not possible to build a real active high pass since the output of each circuit drops down with rising frequencies
2.) When you need an opamp high pass circuit with a corner frequency of 100 MHz the opamp transit frequency should be higher at least by a factor of 50 - resulting in a GBW of at least 5 GHz. Hard to find.
3.) Consequence: Use a passive filter (or use gm-C-topology in integrated form)

I think the cut-off frequency need to decreased to at least 10MHz because the output should filter out in the low frequency and then, I need to find the wideband opamp.

Thank you so much for your answer

Added after 1 minutes:

eem2am said:
There is no opamp for this high frequency.

you need something like a microwave filter.....kind of bits of microstrip...like you see in FM receiver

I think it is impossible to find the kind of opamp which has GHz range. I guess the

operating frequency should be decreased to at least 10MHz. Could you please

recommend any broadband opamp to work this kind of range ?

Thanks

kender said:
Look into AD8039, it can operate up to 350MHz.

Thank you for your answer.

Is this Opamp(AD8039) library which I can use in PSPICE 9.1 or Agilent ADS 2005A software ? I can not find this opamp in the library of PSPICE or ADS.

Your help is much appreciated if you recommend if you recommend the library using in these software.

Chris

It is best to have a look on the opamp manufacturers homepage (analog.com or linear.com or ti.com or national.com). Here you can choose the part which best suits your needs.

whitewiz

whitewiz said:
kender said:
Look into AD8039, it can operate up to 350MHz.
Is this Opamp(AD8039) library which I can use in PSPICE 9.1 or Agilent ADS 2005A software ?

Chris,

If you're looking specifically for a high-speed OpAmp which has a PSpice library, post a request here **broken link removed**

- Nick

whitewiz

Voltage and current-feedback OPs with 1 to 3 GHz GBW are available (e.g. from TI and Analog) and allow to design usable 100 MHz active filters. Depending on the bandwidth reserve, you will observe more or less deviation from the ideal transfer function. The said factor 50 may be regarded as a rule-of-thumb for frequency charecteristics almost unaffected by OP GBW. But the result also depends on the intended filter Q. Low Q filters may be designed with a factor of 5 or 10, but the filter parameters needs to be adjusted for limited GBW.

whitewiz

Hi whitewiz,

I think some additional comments are appropriate - independent on the final value for your filter pole (10 MHz or 100 MHz):

A factor of 10 between opamp transit frequency and filter cut-off (as proposed in the last reply) may be sufficient in order to meet the required corner frequency roughly. However, don´t forget you are going to design a HIGHPASS which must not attenuate frequencies ABOVE the corner frequency (until which maximum ??). I doubt if the mentioned factor of 10 can do this with a sufficient accuracy for frequencies higher than two times the corner frequency.

As far as the mentioned Sallen-Key-topology is concerned - I recommend to use no other gain values than 1 or 2, because these values are easy to design.

Added after 5 minutes: During selection of an opamp don´t forget to look for a suitable slew rate.

whitewiz

As far as I know, slew rate is proportional to bandwidth. So high slew rate can satisfy the broad bandwidth. How much is good slew rate for this kind of high pass filter ?

Thank you for your answer and your comment is really helpful.

LvW said:
Hi whitewiz,

I think some additional comments are appropriate - independent on the final value for your filter pole (10 MHz or 100 MHz):

A factor of 10 between opamp transit frequency and filter cut-off (as proposed in the last reply) may be sufficient in order to meet the required corner frequency roughly. However, don´t forget you are going to design a HIGHPASS which must not attenuate frequencies ABOVE the corner frequency (until which maximum ??). I doubt if the mentioned factor of 10 can do this with a sufficient accuracy for frequencies higher than two times the corner frequency.

As far as the mentioned Sallen-Key-topology is concerned - I recommend to use no other gain values than 1 or 2, because these values are easy to design.

Added after 5 minutes: During selection of an opamp don´t forget to look for a suitable slew rate.

Added after 4 minutes:

I forgot to mention that.

I selected CLC425(Wideband opamp). Its bandwidth is 75MHz and slew rate is 250V/us. Is this good candidate to use ?

LvW said:
Hi whitewiz,

Quote/ Nov. 17th, 6:55 :

I think it is impossible to find the kind of opamp which has GHz range. I guess the
operating frequency should be decreased to at least 10MHz. Could you please
recommend any broadband opamp to work this kind of range ?

I thought you are going to design a HIGHPASS !
In this case, it is not sufficient that the opamp works fine up to 10 MHz.
Instead, the maximum operating frequency has to be much larger !
But how large ? YOU must know which frequencies have to pass your filter !
(What is the purpose of the filter ?)
To answer your question it is really necessary to know:
1) What is the corner frequency of the highpass ?
2.) what are your attenuation requirements ?

Regards

whitewiz

SR of 250 V/us is rather low and implies less than 1 Vpeak at 50 MHz. However, you didn't tell much about the application and bandwidth or voltage levels. We can't know about.

whitewiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back