Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which microcontroller has a very simple programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvd

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which uC to use?

I want a uC whose programming is very simple. I do not want to design a complex programmer for it. I have heard of uCs which are programmable through the serial port of the computer. They don't need any other IC for programming. Is it true? What part numbers do they have?

I am desperate to start experimenting with uCs but I don't want to go through the comlex design for the programmer circuit. Please help...

Re: Which uC to use?

atmel AVR. programmer: ponyprog, programator: in system, LPT port+some cable+4 resistors. compiler: Winavr

avr ones are really simple to program

you have just to use a cable from the parallel port to pins of microcontroler and use ponyprog software

(obviously search google for the connections of this cable)0

maxer

cable is:

lpt pin 6: to sck
lpt pin 7: to mosi
lpt pin 9: to reset
lpt pin 10: to miso

lpt 18..15: gnd

connect this two pins with cable: lpt 2 and lpt 12
also connect this two: lpt 3 and lpt 11

last two connections are for autodetect under ponyprog.

try yourself which type of cable it is (using probe function)

have a nice programming :)

MSP from TI or Renesas M16 are powefull microcontrollers and have very inexpensive programmers. Atmel is beatifull and have some programmers and software development toll free (like gcc).

Gorkin.

i think MicroChip 16F84 is the most easy microcontroller for beginner, simply because it has less than 50 instruction sets and it is really easy to built a programmer.

you need few passive components and serial port to programmer the controller, you do not need extra power for the programmer, and you can get the compiler and linker free from internet...

try this controller out.

:)

hai
for beginner microchip is very easy to program
lot of free programmers are available in the forum itself
i have posted two easy programmers
propic2, and p16pro

use it

if u need any further help send me a private message.

Microchip PIC are very simple to program. besides ASM you can program it in C.

It's very simple also to downolad firmware on it. using serial PC port and JDM interface(the most simple, working without power supply) or other kind of serial programmers.

Its useful to program it directly in circuit using a 5 pins connector to interface MCU with programmer.

nvd said:
I want a uC whose programming is very simple. I do not want to design a complex programmer for it. I have heard of uCs which are programmable through the serial port of the computer. They don't need any other IC for programming. Is it true? What part numbers do they have?

I am desperate to start experimenting with uCs but I don't want to go through the comlex design for the programmer circuit. Please help...

depending on the type of microcontroller you want to experiment, you can check whether the supplier has starter kit or something similar.

starter kit usually just a board with microcontroller, RS232 interface, and pinouts for your external interfacing.

Usually the microcontroller has Flash memory so that you can flash your code via RS232.

Which uC to use?

I would reccomed Atmel AVR, it's the most simple to program and requires very few components. AVR is a more modern architecture than PIC and 8051.
But you could also use Michrochip PIC (or 8051) which has almost as simple a programmer. I have used both PIC and AVR and generally prefers AVR, especialy because of better compilers, but also because of the microcontoller itself.
The good thing about AVR is that you can get a free C compiler. You can't get any full featured PIC C compilers for free.
A very easy and fairly cheap way to start with AVR is to buy the Atmel AVR STK500 programmer/develoment kit with microcontrollers included.
But you can easily make your own simple ISP programmer for either AVR or PIC or both.
Try to check out www.avrfreaks.com, this is the best internet resource for AVR and I have never seen a site as good as this one dedicated to any other microcontroller like PIC, 8051 etc.

The most important thing is to buy a Flash based micocontroller with ISP (In System Programming) so you can easily re-program it.

Hi,

All I can tell you is the for me, the PIC was very easy to learn and use.
The reason for this is very simple: The data sheet and the user manual that you can find are VERY SIMPLE.
I Also know the MSP430 line, and bobcat1 helped me a lot to learn how to use it. But it took me a long time to figure out how i write the code for the MSP430. I would recomand this MCU but not for baginers and not for reliable application. I never burned a PIC, and belive me i did things to it, that i couldnt understand how it keept on working... While the MSP, i know few projects that the MSP430 just daies without any reason, and then you have to replace them, again and again.
try to see on google how many projects you can find for each MCU, this will show you what is more common and also will give you a better referance to other projects that you will design in the future :)

Good luck.

Which uC to use?

I would wote for Atmel AVR

Have a look at www.avrbeginners.net , and www.avrfreaks.net

And this one for an easy setup
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

The free Atmel "AVR Studio 4" simulator software and assembler you can get from here http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=607

The free GNU GCC AVR C Compiler you can fetch from http://winavr.sourceforge.net/

Well actually here http://sourceforge.net/projects/winavr/

An ATmega8 is an excellent little beginners chip , witch just need 5v to run , as it comes with a default internal 1Mhz oscillator enabled.

Happy programming

/Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back