Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which manufacturer for simple CPLD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

droseman

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am looking at developing a simple application modifying a pulse train and some other functions using a CPLD device, however I have no knowledge of the relative pros and cons of devices from Altera and xilinx.

Can anyone offer advice on which may have the best, more intuitive tools and ease of programming and simulation from these manufacturers.

I am considering MAX7000 and Coolrunner 2 devices for this.

Thanks
Dave

From a hardware perspective:
Depends on the application. Both have similar densities. Coolrunner devices consume a bit less.

From the tools side:
With which tools have you worked before? If you haven't, ask your collegues, maybe they have worked with the one or the other. I rather prefer the Altera flow, but that's really not objective. They seem to me a bit more intuitive. But I guess someone else will say the opposite.
Which distributor will support you whilst you are developping? What price can you get for both devices? These are the sort of questions you need to ask when deciding...

If you really don't know, just flip a coin...

i've used both xilinx and altera CPLDs and both function well. But in terms of support and applications, Altera have some easier to access web materials. Coolrunners do consume a bit less but Xilinx CPLD needs additional I/O boards whereas Altera come together as a complete kit (Max700, DE1, DE2 and DE3)

i've used both xilinx and altera CPLDs and both function well. But in terms of support and applications, Altera have some easier to access web materials. Coolrunners do consume a bit less but Xilinx CPLD needs additional I/O boards whereas Altera come together as a complete kit (Max700, DE1, DE2 and DE3)

Thats quite an interesting point bbgil, when you say additional I/O boards, is that extra comps around the CPLD on the target, or do I need something else to program it apart from the Xilinx platform2 cable and a JTAG interface on my target?

More research needed, I think.

--dave

Xilinx CR2 devices need a core voltage of 1.8V and an I/O voltage depending on your application (3.3V probably). They aren't 5V tolerant anymore.

I don't understand bbgil's comment about the DE1, ... these are FPGA development boards and have nothing to do with CPLDs.

If you're looking for a development board, both companies aren't focussing on CPLDs anymore, so you will need to check their website, or look for other company's solutions.

Regards,
Luc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back