Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is the current limit of a usb of a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxtigerxx

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to supply a device 12V 200mA for the usb.

can i do it?

of course i will use a step up conventer or a charge pump to make 5Volt USB to 12Volts.....

THX

Hi,

If I remeber correctly the maximum current limit is about 500mA at 5V, so in ur case assuming no losses Pin = 5 * 500mA = 2.5 Watts
Pout = 12 * 200mA = 2.4 watts

mmm very critical so I would suggest using two usb ports instead of one. I think some of the new usb devices use this way to overcome power limitation

BR
Adel_48

Under all conditions you are guaranteed to get 5V @ 100mA, but if you are connected to a PC (connected to the wall outlet) you can negotiate for upto 500mA, but if you are connected to a laptop then it may or may not give you the extra current.

- Jayson

The maximum is 500mA, if your application is over the maximum, it should be better to apply by a power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back