Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is the better choice? Relay or Triac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrlamichhane

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This circuit is intended to 'short circuit' the 'AC power mains' while there is voltage on the AC line and 'open circuit' the inverter line' at that time. If the 'main line' goes out then it will 'short circuit' the 'inverter line' to destination and 'open circuit' the AC main line. The 24V DC is generated from 'main ac line' so it can be used to control which line get's 'short circuited' and which one gets 'open circuited'.

I know, it's really easy using the Mechanical Relay, but I want to use a 'Triac' and also can you guyz tell me what are the advantages of using Triac over Relay on this purpose? And also which one is more durable?

using the triac is advantageous in many respects.

switching time is faster. relay takes few mSecs to switch during which time
there will not be any power to load.

if the triac circuitry is made properly with all precautions then no problem with it.

srizbf
4thjune2010

Added after 18 minutes:

please read also the other forum topic of the same type so that you get some insights and precautions.

srizbf
4thjune2010

Status
Not open for further replies.