Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which is better 8051 or pic ?????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmaro

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
8051 vs pic

hi every body
i need your your advice about the main diffrences between 8051 family vs pic
and what is an AVR?
please i need your advice to start my lessons , as i'm intendded to begin a self study and i want to collect information about each type and have a complete vision around each type ( advantages & disadvantages )
many thanks

pic vs 8051

8051 vs PIC: they are just different architecture with different sets of instruction and different advantages and disadvantages. You can use both to accomplish probably just about any task meant for a microcontroller.

In the embedded 8-bit microcontroller world, microchip PIC reigns supreme! Atmel AVR isn't bad either, but I find the support a bit lacking. Nowadays, I mostly use PICs. The only time I use 8051 is Cypress's 68013A chip (for high speed USB). And quite honestly, I can use both comfortably.

When it comes down to it, I think the support for the chip matters much much more than the actual architecture in the chip. And trust me, microchip provides a lot of support! First, they don't obsolete chips often. Second, they have hobby friendly packages (PDIP). Third, they offer free samples to students. Fourth, their development tool is free! Fifth, they offer lots of selections with uC targeted toward very specific areas.

my 2 cents

pic versus 8051

In this topic some good post on this forum.

goto following links:

May if u search in this forum u find some more post also.

You search "8051+PIC".

Regards
Tectona :)

8051 vs avr

tectona said:
In this topic some good post on this forum.

goto following links:

h**p://

May if u search in this forum u find some more post also.

You search "8051+PIC".

Regards
Tectona :)

Nothing is the better ! It belong to your applications.
Good luck for U !

pic microcontroller vs 8051

The 8051 family is one of the most common microcontroller architectures used worldwide. 8051 based microcontrollers are offered in hundreds of variants from many different silicon manufacturers. The 8051 is based on an 8-bit CISC core with Harvard architecture...

pic vs 8051 for projects

thakns for all , i will follow the links here
thanks again

8051 vs arm

pic: the cheapest
AVR: the convenient
8051:the more classic

8051 vs arm7

Depends on Application

pic vs arm vs 8051

These microcontrollers/microprocessors do not have disadvantage.

They do have limitations and as a designer(or future designer) one should know of these limitations. once they are known, then a certain type can be chosen based on IO/price/speed and packaging.

If you are new to all these and would like to start using one, I would suggest going with the PICs first because it is easier than learning to use an AVR.

There are very few things that one particular type can do while others can't so you will be covered whatever choice you will make. Of course bosses would expect you to know all three, possible four including ARM if they are going to pay you hard cash.

arm vs 8051

i need your your advice about the main diffrences between 8051 family vs pic

8051 family allows memory-map for data-address bus, and interface with external ROM and RAM fairly easily.
PIC always work in the discrete I/O manner and in most cases, a PIC runs application right from the ROM(FLASH) and RAM out of its own silicon.

The consequence is that, 8051 allows ROM and RAM expansion whereas, PIC contains all ROM and RAM inside a single chip.

There are a number of SoC solution based in 8051 core, for example, RF chip from Nordic Semiconductor, and MP3 Soc solution from VLSI, Norway. There are a lot more other than these.

So my feeling is that, you can't go wrong by learning 8051 as your first uP project.

John

pic vs 80c51

OK
i'll go forward with 8051 family , then i'll work with AVR
many thanks forr ALL
Happy Ramadan

compare 8051 vs pic

Hi,

It depends on :)
But try to search Arm series. Especially ARM7 is (i think) suitable for you ;) (Forget pic and 8051 core)

Analyzer

pic stronger 8051

A baseline 8051 is not that rich in functionality as compared to pic... like CCP,A/D modules etc. The current source/sink ability of pic is also more than the 8051

8051 stack overflow

8051 is a very elegant cpu, with its bit test instructions,stack, also easy to write small
multitasking kernel in it. Its EASY to think in assembler with the 8051 chip - if you need to connect with standard peripheral i/o (8bit) its the choice. Also in its 40pin form,a EPROM emulator, its the fastest/cheapest dev system (for me). An if you then have some function which only needs some i/o and already have a library of code for 8051, AT89Cxxx are just fantastic choices.

What makes the PIC a choice is the range of on-board functionality, but its instruction set is a dog to learn, its got a RETARDED memory model, and that s**t hardware stack you allways overflow A!@#$$!!.
That also makes it very difficult for a C compiler to generate good code, however if I hadn't found a free C compiler at the time - cc5x (1k limit) - I would never have started using them. PIC18Fxxx improves things, but more expensive chips, and PIC24XXX is a different fish(no comment).

AVR (my experience -ATTINY,AT90xx,AT91xx) chips are easier to program. Atmel are now having a better range with on-board functions too.

So its the on-board functions that select the chip for me - so today I have on hand more varity of PIC chips than any other - but not because i'm in luv with PIC.
And the FED compiler/simulator has helped me cope with the PIC. see www.fored.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back