Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which FPGA is better: XILINX or ALTERA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoop12

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I would like to know which FPGA is better among XILINX and ALTERA?

regards

Re: Xilinx or @ltera

anoop12 said:
Hi,
I would like to know which FPGA is better among XILINX and @ltera?

regards

One or the other isn't better or worse.

You need to look closely at your application, and decide what features are most important, whether it be power usage, low-cost, etc. Then look at the available FPGA's in your price bracket and see which ones suit your needs most closely.

Re: Xilinx or altera

Hi.

We cannot say Xilinx or Altera is better. Its all depend on your design req, pocket size, the tools ur already having etc.

Take a look at different FPGA from both these vendors.

Hope it helps

Thanx

Xilinx or @ltera

It depends your requirement. I prefer Xilinx. It is my personal opinion.

Xilinx or @ltera

Yes, Xilinx flow is more like ASIC flow --- so it's used widely in ASIC emulation.

Altera is not such flexible but can meet your req anyway...

Xilinx or @ltera

xilinx is more controllable,
altera is more easier for beginner

Xilinx or @ltera

I prefer Xilinx cos I use it more often.

If you were from Synopsys camp, then Altera may look appealing due to the constraints in Altera is the same as Design Compiler. However in Xilinx you need to twist your mind when constraining setup/hold time delay.

Xilinx or @ltera

I think Xilink befor use FPGA and Altela befor use CPLD

Xilinx or @ltera

They are same.

Make sure you have good support from vendor you selected, also look at lattice as well

Xilinx or @ltera

The same but CAD tools for xilinxs are better.

Re: Xilinx or @ltera

I think it depends on which supports you can get from the vendor are more.

As I experience, Xilinx seems that it has more resources about their development kit. (ex. design examples, application notes, etc...)

For Altera, I will recommend they can improve the resources about their development kit.

It just my opinions...

B.R.

Xilinx or @ltera

I do prefer Xilinx 'coz of its resources. But I think Altera iz gud and morever they had opened an R&D in my country, Vietnam :D Now I'm doing both on Altera's and Xilinx'

Re: Xilinx or altera

Both Altera & Xilinx have comparable technology & parts in terms of FPGA & CPLDs. The issue is usually the IP & the tools: Xilinx ISE vs Altera Quartus.

Xilinx or @ltera

EU folk seem to favor Xilinx while US prefer Altera - can't explain it so just sharing an observation. Neither is better nor worse. I think most engineers will favor the IDE and from there the actual product. I like Quartus better than ISE but that's just me, plus my geographic opinion could have something to do with that seleciton too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back