Which end of this infra red thermometer is the sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello
Which end of the "thermohawk 400u" houses the sensor?....(I hope its the small end as I wish to measure temperature of very small electronic components)

**broken link removed**

As far as I see, both ends have the same (13 mm) diameter. The IR sensor is apparently placed under a removable cap near the LCD display (as shown with the 400 photo).

The ability to measure the temperature of small devices is specified by the 1:1 spot:distance ratio. A minimal spot size isn't specified, but it will be surely several mm.

IR thermometer gun inside:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Best regards.
Peter

As the 1:1 ratio suggests, thermohawk 400u doesn't use an IR lens, just the aperture of the thermopile sensor.

The IR sensor is apparently placed under a removable cap near the LCD display (as shown with the 400 photo).
....I am not sure how you know this but I hope you are right...because the sensor looks very small protruberance at this end (that little thing sticking out of the end)...the other end looks wider.

Tpetar, I liked your video,..it showed that inside the IR thermometer is a TPS334 thermopile sensor..

http://letsmakerobots.com/files/TPS434_thermopile.pdf

....this TPS334 has a window of 2.5mm diameter, and inside the IR thermometer , it is situated approximately 30mm behind the detector face of the IR thermometer.....so I would assume that for that IR thermometer, the minimum measurable spot size is 30/6mm = 5mm?

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…