Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which common centriod pattern is better 4 differential pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syiling

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
differential pair spacing ratio

hi, i would like to have some advice on the floorplan of common-centriod layout for differential pair transistor. may i know which pattern is the best? or is there any alternatives besides those 3 patterns shown below? may i know too, whether 4 rows is better than 2 rows when we are doing the common centriod?

A= device +M1(multiplier=32), B=device -M1(multiplier=32), U=dummy transistor

pattern1:
U A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B U
U B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A U
U A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B U
U B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A U

pattern2:
U A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B U U B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A U
U A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B U U B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A U

pattern3 (almost same as pattern2 but without the dummy in the middle):
U A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A U
U A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A U

thank you for the advice.:D

Re: which common centriod pattern is better 4 differential p

syiling said:
hi, i would like to have some advice on the floorplan of common-centroid layout for differential pair transistor. may i know which pattern is the best? or is there any alternatives besides those 3 patterns shown below? may i know too, whether 4 rows is better than 2 rows when we are doing the common centroid?
For getting lowest variation on such a block, you should select a block type with an aspect ratio as close as possible to 1 (i.e. to a quadratic form). This means, the w/l ratio of your transistors should decide upon using 2 or 4 rows.

If the decision is using 2 rows, I'd suggest a modified version of your pattern3:

U A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B U
U B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A B B A A U

For 32 units per transistor in total, you could also use groups of 4 (or even 8 ) A or B in series, which facilitates the routing. Try to keep the routing in good symmetry, too.

four rows is better only if routing is too much critical.... due to increased complexity in routing ...

among the remaining two ,
i would prefer 1st one for <130nm
and 2 nd one for >130nm.. due to LOD efect coming into pic below 130 nm..

hi deepak242003, thanks for the info sharing.

i would like to ask if the transistor length is much smaller than 45nm, does it mean it is better to use 4 rows (pattern 1) to achieve the common centriod? may i know the reason behind it?

thanks for the advice.:D

Added after 5 minutes:

hi erikl,

thanks for the advice. i would like to ask some further question as i am still new in drawing analog layout.
would you explain more on this statement "you should select a block type with an aspect ratio as close as possible to 1 (i.e. to a quadratic form). This means, the w/l ratio of your transistors should decide upon using 2 or 4 rows. "--- does it mean to use pattern1, i need to have w/l= 1? what would happen if the pattern1 is used for w/l=5? what would be your advice if the w/l=5?

may i know what is the acpect ratio close to 1 means?

thanks for the advice.:D

Re: which common centroid pattern is better 4 differential p

syiling said:
hi erikl, ...
would you explain more on this statement "you should select a block type with an aspect ratio as close as possible to 1 (i.e. to a quadratic form). This means, the w/l ratio of your transistors should decide upon using 2 or 4 rows. "--- does it mean to use pattern1, i need to have w/l= 1?
Yes. With a w/l= 1 and 4 rows you'll come closer to a (nearly) quadratic block form.

syiling said:
what would happen if the pattern1 is used for w/l=5? what would be your advice if the w/l=5?
In this case - if you arrange the channels in vertical direction - a 4-rows-block would get
much higher than wide, a bad aspect ratio. So, in such case 2 rows should get closer to a quadratic block form.

syiling said:
may i know what is the acpect ratio close to 1 means?
Apart from random (statistical) variations, also process-induced linear variation gradients over the wafer area exist. As their angle dependency isn't known, a round or quadratic block area guarantees the highest probability for minimum parameter variation. See also the appended paper.

syiling said:
hi deepak242003, thanks for the info sharing.

i would like to ask if the transistor length is much smaller than 45nm, does it mean it is better to use 4 rows (pattern 1) to achieve the common centriod? may i know the reason behind it?

thanks for the advice.

If you are drawing the layout below 90nm, you must first get familiar to well proximity and Lenght of Diffusion ( STI stress effect)..

you can download this paper from here :
www.ieee-cicc.org/06-8-6.pdf

In my previous post i meant to say matching.. by mistake i typed routing...
It depends on how critical the matching requirement is as the complexitiy of routing increases..

cheers...

hi erikl,

when you mentioned about w/l=1, from the patterns shown in your suggestion (the modified pattern3), lets just said that the w/l for each transistor = 5/1;
with 2 rows, meaning the w=10 and there are 32 transistors in one row for both A & B devices. there fore the w/l=10/32 (2 rows with 32 transistor in each row)= 0.3.
the aspect ratio is not near to 1.

for second scenario, if using pattern1, there are 4 rows with 16 transistor in each rows. therefore the w= 5x4 and l=16 (if w=5, l=1), then the aspect ratio we get is 1.25.

for 2 scenarios shown above, it would be better if the differential pair is split into 4 rows for common centriod?

thanks for the advice.
:D

syiling said:
... lets just said that the w/l for each transistor = 5/1;
with 2 rows, meaning the w=10 and there are 32 transistors in one row for both A & B devices. there fore the w/l=10/32 (2 rows with 32 transistor in each row)= 0.3.
the aspect ratio is not near to 1.
Yes, you're right; it's not good.

syiling said:
for second scenario, if using pattern1, there are 4 rows with 16 transistor in each rows. therefore the w= 5x4 and l=16 (if w=5, l=1), then the aspect ratio we get is 1.25.
Right. Considering the necessary S & D contacts, Design Rules for spacing, and routing space, you'll possibly get even closer to 1 .

syiling said:
for 2 scenarios shown above, it would be better if the differential pair is split into 4 rows for common centriod?
Yes! And it's named centroid, not centriod :D

Hai Guys,
I have one dout
which below mentioed pattern is good and avoid the gradient and offset voltage??????????

ABAB ABBA
BABA vs. BAAB
ABAB BAAB
BABA ABBA

Rgds
Kumaran.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back