Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which BJTs/ FETs to use for trying out basic circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyiclearner

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I was planning to try out basic BJT and FET based circuits. Can anyone indicate which BJTs and FETs can be used for the purpose. Also, are there any software packages where I can simulate and see the output of single/two-three transistor circuits. I was looking for something where I can assemble a circuit as I do in bred board, pull out a multimeter /oscilloscope and run the simulations to see the output value/waveforms.

Thanks,
Hobbyiclearner

Hi,

My distributor has more than 9700 different mosfets to sell.
They are all different somehow. A lot of them will be for "basic FET circuits".
I recommend to decide what voltage you want to use it for, current, package, R_ds_on, N-Ch or P-Ch, V_GS_th.

Then there will be still 500 different Fets remaining. --> choose one that is good available and cheap.

Simulation: There are free tools. I´m sure you already did a search here in the forum and a global internet search about free simulation tools.

Klaus

LTSpice is a great free simulator.

Learn to use digikey or one of the other major distributors. Like Klaus said, choose a couple parameters and then sort by how many are in stock. There are no Amazon reviews for IC's so sorting by stock is the closest thing you can get to popularity.

Another alternative is a site like sparkfun which has far fewer parts to choose from so they've already narrowed things down.

You can use LTSpice.It is free as well as effective.
You can buy transistor like 2N2222,BC547(Both BJT) for implementing your circuits on breadboard.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi sudhanwaaa,

Thanks for your reply. can you pls. provide names of xome common FETs as well?

Hobbyiclearner

Last edited:

LTSpice and other Spice simulators has libraries with components (lots of them) ready to be simulated. For a general MOSFET/BJT transitor (i.e. no part number) you can use the free Falstad circuit simulator.

Hi sudhanwaaa,

Hobbyiclearner

Last edited:

An IRF640 is Quite Common.

But it would be better if you stated the Purpose.
PWM Circuit, Power Amplifier, Switch mode Circuit, ETC.
Also How Many Amps and What Voltage.

Hi,

It simply makes no sense to randomly recommend a fet.

It's like asking for commonly used connectors.
One recommends a three phase 50A connector, the other an earphone connector. The next a 96 pin connector for 19" systems, the next an ethernet connector. All are very comonly used. And all are so different, you can't even compare them.

Recommend me a pet, a color, a plant, something to eat....

Klaus

OK KlausST, On virtue of generality of the query I can understand your point. Other than that I was only looking for a pointers to begin with. Thats all. Anyways thanks for giving your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back