Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to start learning DSP toolbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherif12

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
help me with DSP

hi,

i started working with the DSP toolbox in Matlab, i really found it very interesting and i liked it so much but when i viewed the discussions here about DSP, i found that i know nothing and it is really something that is totally differenne,

so please, could you tell me how to start learing it, what books should i read, what's the fields that need engineers that Know DSP?

any piece of info will be usefull for me so please don't be stingy with the info you got even if you thought it won't be usefull?

regards,

Sherif.

Re: help me with DSP

Did u try
Introduction to Digital Signal Processing by Orfanidis
or
C Algorithms for real time DSP by Embree?

You can start on DSP topics visiting and downloading the
e-book from Smith "DSP for Scientists and Engineers" from
www.dspguide.com
It is a simple and practical introduction to DSP knowledge.
I recommend it to know the spectrum you are going to attack (or may be code?)
x -> t

hi sherif,

try the pdf docs that are present in the directory where u installed matlab. there are no substitutes to the pdf's given with the installation kit. call it a manual, the best. no other book is necessary.

regards,
Arun.

Hi
To program DSP you require no other prerequisite than a knowledge to of uP/uC. To understand/develop/modify algorithms you need to know more.
Try Lyons' book. It is good. There is also a book by Bateman and yates which I feel is excellent for beginner.
BRM

try
The DSP Handbook: Algorithms, Applications and Design Techniques -- by Andrew Bateman (Author), Iain Paterson

It s very useful.

thanks so much guys for this heaps of info, but no one had answered the other part of my question:

what's the fields that need engineers that Know DSP?

regards,

Sherif.

Hi,
You need to know
Linear Algebra
and Optimization for writing algorithms on your own. For programming you need to know just microcontrollers.
BRM

DSP Engrs are needed everywhere from Radios, Wireless Systems to Control Applications (sensor based detection and control). You can be for sure that tomorrrow's world of Communications would primarily be a A/D, D/A Converter with a powerful DSP processor in the middle layer

that's my 2 cents worth on ur specific qn.

thanks
M

mmm...
DSP seems to be every where that are needed highly MAC operation.so it seems to be used in audio/speech/GSM/image/and .....so many fields.
It is only different from up about the speed of operation....

hey for good feel of applications of MATLAB to the Signal Processing the book by Proakis and Ingle is very good and i think it is available in theis board itself. It is a very nice book and deals extensively with MATLAB use for DSP.

thnx

regards

purna

help me with DSP

Hi!
I need some advice.
I want to know about the practical applications of DSP for my thesis.

to start with matlab and dsp , get a book called "matlab basics and beyone" it's by crc press and is on this site, as for applications of dsp, it's too broad to list here.

Status
Not open for further replies.