Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to get a PCB impulse relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geb

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ok, I've been searching for this animal for a week, and finally found someone at a supply company who admitted that in 23 years of sourcing for customers, he's been asked for this very item several hundred times. It's just not a popular enough need for manufactures to see profit in it however.

I need a purely electromechanical (no other circuits involved - no cmos, no 555 timers, no delay circuits, etc) method of switching a pcb sized dpdt relay, back and forth, with a SINGLE momentary pushbutton input. There are two basic flavors of latching relays out there.. single and dual coil types. Both of them require two separate switches to control the coil/contact arm. The exception to this is an 'impulse' relay which has an internal (either solid state or mechanical) means of alternating states with subsequent inputs of the same polarity (only one momentary switch). An example of which is the Magnecraft 711 series. That is about four times bulkier than a 'pcb' relay however.

I cannot use a dpdt latching switch. I must use a single 'tact' momentary to perform this duty. I can actually do this with a small low voltage push solenoid and a small (2amp rated) dpdt latching pushbutton physically joined together on a circuit board. Essentially I've just built an impulse latching relay! But I cannot purchase one ready made.

Unless anyone knows of a source that I have not located through Google?
Would someone please make my day?

Thank you very much for reading this far anyway..

pcb latching relay

I know this as switching relay or impulse switch from Eltako www.eltako.com, used in building automation. Never saw it as a PCB part.

solid state impulse relay

I have seen this relay is commerical products. For example, the X-10 company uses this type of relay in their Appliance Module. These cheap little modules allow you to control devices with signals sent over the powerlines. A schematic can be seen at:
https://www.edcheung.com/automa/am486.gif

Sadly the schematic does not list the part number of the relay. However, if you can locate one, then perhaps the device has some markings.

As I recall working on these, the latching relay uses a soleniod and cog wheel to close the switch on the first application of power and open it on the next.
While the relay was mounted on a circuit board, it is not very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back