Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where to find a microcontroller to run a coin operated mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamela glow

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am trying to run a motor with a coin mechanism..the books state that you have to hook this up to a microcontroller,,

Any microcontroller can be used in this application, question is do you know how to program a microcontroller, eg. PIC, 8051-derivative, PIC-AXE, any ..

:wink:

write a specification giving details of the functionality of the machine - this should identify the external devices and hence the IO requirements of the microcontroller and give some indication of the size and complexity of the program to control the system. Do you intend to build a PCB yourself or use a development board? any idea of programming language?

There are Millions, if not Billions, of coin-operated devices out there that don't use any microcontroller. They existed way before the uC was invented.

If your requirments are simple - say turn on a motor for a specified amount of time when a coin is inserted - then a 555 timer may be all you need. If you are making a multi-selection vending machine than a uC would certainly make the circuit simpler.

thanks..it is just two simple small motors but i want them to turn on with the coin mechanism. I did look up cam timers,,,,i will find a 555 timer,,where?

i appreciate the help,

thanks..it is just two simple small motors but i want them to turn on with the coin mechanism. I did look up cam timers,,,,i will find a 555 timer,,where?

i appreciate the help,
They are made by several manufacturers and are available at most electronic suppliers. You may want to search for NE555 or LM555. Also, a lot of companies make kits with 555 timers on them - **broken link removed**

What we observed here is that your doubts cocerns to subjects well known to electronic technicians.
Maybe is better you ask locally at the city where you live how to purchase that.

+++

I wouldn’t advice you to even look at 555-timer (or like) based coin-operated system simply because they are not reliable ..
Users try to disconnect power, or re-set it some how, or disrupt power and only microcontroller-based circuits can cope with those manipulations ..
Don’t go backwards and into troubles ..

IanP

Hi Sandra , for such a simple task I wouldn't recommend a microcontroller. As a beginner it will take a long time to design a reliable controller. If you need a simple task like put coin - run motor X minutes put another coin - run motor for X minutes then you can do this with a simple 555 circuit. If your controller is shielded (inside some metal case) and there is no access to the main supply it's very unlikely to have troubles like Ian says. If you think to do something like put N coins - run motor N*X minutes then you will need a microcontroller to do that.
I'm not sure what kind of coin mech you have in mind many of them are available with a pulse output and an enable output, for a simple design with a single coin you can fire 555 with the pulse output and with the 555 output run the motor and disable the coinmech to prevent inserting another coin. Can you specify which coin mech you have available, I know about most of them and I can tell which can be used in this way.

I wouldn’t advice you to even look at 555-timer (or like) based coin-operated system simply because they are not reliable ..
Users try to disconnect power, or re-set it some how, or disrupt power and only microcontroller-based circuits can cope with those manipulations ..
Don’t go backwards and into troubles ..
IanP

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt the the OP is building a commercial device and needs to concern themselves with those issues. If they do, a poorly designed uC based systems is just as vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back