Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to connect the capacitors on this IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff77789

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i got a MAX3232 from sparkfun and it is SMD

here is the datasheet:

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/ICL3232.pdf

the product page said that i needed 4 external 0.1 µF capacitors so i got those as well

the question is, i do not know which pins to connect them to

according to the picture on the bottom right of page 6, it looks like i need 2 capacitors connecting C1+ to C1- and then from C2+ to C2- (pins 1,3,4,5)

it also looks like i need 2 more to connect V+ to GND? and V- to GND? correct me if i am wrong (pins 2 to gnd and 6 to gnd)

this would make up the 4 capacitors that the product sheet said i needed but it also displays a capacitor from Vcc to GND? and an optional "C3" connection that goes to pin 2 also involving a capacitor

also this would be a stupid question because of my lack on knowledge with IC's but on page 4 it shows the 3232 IC with the top edge having a "U" indent. is this the same orientation if i were referring to the circular indent on the actual IC?

thanks!

You can find the description of each single pin in the table at page 5.
The capacitor C1 and C2 are used by the IC to double the voltage so they are floating with repect to ground and Vcc. As you said, they have to be connected from C1+ to C1- and from C2+ to C2- (pins 1,3,4,5 for ICL3232).
The capacitors C3 and C4 are used to stabilize the +5.5V and the -5.5V generated internally to the IC by the doublers. they have to be connected from V- and ground (C4) and from V+ and ground or Vcc (C3), as you like. Note that the C3 polarity is always with the positive lead to the V+ pin since it is alwys more positive than ground and Vcc. Ic pins are 3 and 7.
The capacitor from Vcc to ground is used to stabilize the Vcc you use to supply the IC. Also this capacitor has to be placed close to the IC.

About the orientation, the dot is placed on pin 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back