Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where to begin in socket programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuuton

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

i want to do some socket programming for remote access systems.

please tell me where to begin. i am using visual studio for making the GUI.

please advise whether i should use dot net or java? i havent used either language before and i am also short on time. which would be a better option considering my situation? thanx

this is my opinion. the mileage may vary depending on your expertise.

if you are new to socket programming under windows , then try to write a commnd line code for learning the methodology.

once you are comfortable , then you can choose a gui for final form.

if you start with a gui code in the first run itself , it may take a long time to write the full code to to do your task.(and if new to gui also , then nowhere the light may be seen)

you can write client/server code in almost any language
java and VB socket programming is simpler than C++
e.g. Java
Lesson: All About Sockets (The Java™ Tutorials > Custom Networking)

C++
Linux Howtos: C/C++ -> Sockets Tutorial
**broken link removed**

and VB
VB.NET TCP Client/Server Socket Commmunications

so long as you are careful the client and server don't have to be written in the same language.
Avoid language dependent data structures, be careful about binary data sizes and endianness, etc.
In the main use the same language for the client and server or keep to transferring ASCII text unless you know what you are doing.

i am a beginner. i want to do socket programming in java. can you give me some links or tutorials??

hi

i want to do some socket programming for remote access systems.

please tell me where to begin. i am using visual studio for making the GUI.

please advise whether i should use dot net or java? i havent used either language before and i am also short on time. which would be a better option considering my situation? thanx

Hi fuuton,
Here I will tell my Own way of doing things. It may not be suitable for all but You may try it.
I separate GUI from the backend processing.
So both the codes are independent. and easy to maintain.
next for Socket programming I will suggest you to use winsock library and C/C++ (again my personal opinion as i am a C programmer)

Next You can follow the beej's socket programming guide. you can google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back