Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where does the path closes when someone touches live line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed osama

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Strange Question !!

When anyone touch the live 110 or 220 V he feels the electricity and maybe even dies..well this mean that the AC current pass in the his body although he touchs just one wire and the current must has a closed path .

SO where the close path ..is it the earth???

Strange Question !!

Yes, it's the Earth.

I have heard that touching live with the left hand is worse, as the current goes down the left side of the body through the heart.

The reason that the Earth is involved is that it is used as a reference for the power lines. If it was not, the transmission lines could pick up extra charge (from the atmosphere - like clouds do) and, although the voltage difference between the lines would still be 450,000V or whatever is used, they could all be millions of volts relative to the earth. Not good!

So, One side (the Neutral in the UK) is connected to Earth at the generator, and the same side is connected to Earth at the end user, often by a ground rod or underground metal water pipe.

FoxyRick.

Re: Strange Question !!

ahmed osama said:
When anyone touch the live 110 or 220 V he feels the electricity and maybe even dies..well this mean that the AC current pass in the his body although he touchs just one wire and the current must has a closed path .

Make your calculations approximatively: 110volts/body-resistance = 110/1500=73mA with 73mA that means a lot. In few seconds heart will start fibrillate. Kids do not try this at home.

True! Earth connection can be called "a true ground" in that sense. In circuits we use voltage regulators pin as virtual ground.

Strange Question !!

Fibrillation starts at 15mA, for our coulomb counters at home.

ok so it is the earth

but when anyone touch the 110/220 line he always wear a shoes or slipper which is a very good isolation material so how the current pass??

what i guess that all that happened only for the AC and here maybe we assume the earth + shoes is a capacitor for example which can pass AC and will not pass DC

hi,

i think you will also have problems with DC and 220V or 110V!

(50V DC is enough to kill you!)

ciao

jako123 said:
hi,

i think you will also have problems with DC and 220V or 110V!

(50V DC is enough to kill you!)

ciao

No
i meant that earth pass only AC current and not DC ..this what i think..

i wish anyone here has a book or anything else speaks about the earth and its relation with AC ,DC ,RF and EM signals

There is something known as earth pit which is dug at the end user.
There is a pure copper plate in the pit surrounded by charcoal and salt.
This reduces the resistivity of the pit. Hence when there is a leakage, the charge goes to the plate and later gets dissipated in the pit.

So any kind of leakage will go to the earth. It is the best place to disspate unwanted charges.

U'll get a shock with DC also. earth will complete the loop for DC as well. "shocking" for u, but 110V of DC will be more harmful for a person than 110V of AC..!!

This because in AC the current flow thro body, will also be AC, sinosidal, and hence less damaging, than in case of DC, where ohm's law directly calculates constant current flowing thro ur body for the complete time of closed loop...!!!

:!:

I suppose the kind of soil and your distance between the closest earth pit also matters.

echo47 said:
I have touched 230 VAC with my finger while wearing shoes, and felt almost nothing.

Here's a UL article, "Electric Shock: What is it?"
h**p://www.fishock.com/service/shock_new.html

And just because I have a sick sense of humor ...

**broken link removed**

I have touched the live 220volts when my family used to live in Eastern Europe at least 3 times. I was about 8years old and we had a receptable in room not well insulated.

Do you know how it feels? You feel at instance a powerful muscle vibration. The arm moved so fast the shock moved my body several meters away. I was thrown by shock.

Sharing with you those feelings of electric shock,

djalli

Last edited by a moderator:

I also remember touching the outlet's wires when I was a kid - say 10 years old. It wasn't pleasant feeling, but that was one of the things that got me started with electricity :)

When i was working for a electrical Transmission and distribution company.
I witnessed a disaster,a workman was electrocuted.I noticed that there were
2 punctures in the body one where the current entered and the other where the current left the body.

Yeah we have to be really careful with electricity.

Strange Question !!

Just some of my thought and experience.

If you’re on a wet floor, touching a live wire will virtually left you no change to survive. If you’re touching both live and neutral wires, you get kill almost instantly.

In my past time when I worked as a wireman, I can’t remember exactly how many times I got electric shock, but I’m still alive today. Yes I was wearing a rubber shoe. I fact, most of the time when I got electric shock, I was on a wooden table.

Aside from direct path conduction causing shock, remember that the human body (beneath the skin) is a salt water conductor.

When two conductors are separated by an insulator - we call it a capacitor.

Human skin is a pretty good insulator if it is dry. If the skin is punctured or wet at the point of contact with an electrical circuit, the whole body becomes part of the conducting circuit. The human body has a substantial surface area, as does the surrounding ground under your shoes - two conducting plates separated by insulating soles of shoes = a pretty good capacitor.

The moral of the story is that shoes and a dry surface won't necessarily save you if the skin breaks down at the point of contact with the wire. The capacitive impedance, and the AC that flows through it may kill you anyway.

In most home power distribution systems, one side of the AC line is connected to earth ground. This is done to permit safer design of user appliances. The cabinet, conduit, etc. of appliances are required to be connected to the ground side of the line. If a fault occurs in the appliance wiring, the current flows back to the ground side through the cabinet or conduit. That grounded line is the one that you can capacitively couple to if you grab the other, ungrounded, line.

DC is way more dangerous than AC. Because of the nature of AC current which changes polarity , one gest a jolt and gets thrown back,that is for normal volatge. If voltage is high enough like power lines, That one jolt is enough. But in case of DC there is no polarity reversion and one can get pretty much stuck with the supply.

ahmed osama said:

yes...b/c if u r standing on a piece of rubber, plastic or wood, u will not any shock, due to open circuit..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back