Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do you usually place dummy transistors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccw27

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dummy Transistor

Where do you usually place dummy transistors? Should dummy transistors be placed next to switches used for control (i.e. they go either low or high)?

Thanks

Re: Dummy Transistor

Dummy transistor fine application in switch cap circuit as you have mentioned and also in layout. In layout they would help in problems faced in process .

Dummy transistors are usually placed in the layout for better matching.,etc.

If you are talking about the dummy transistors in the switched cap circuits(or for switches) they have a different purpose. They are used to reduce charge injection. They are usually used in series with the switch, and the gates of he dummy devices are controlled by the inverted control that controls the main switch. The drain, bulk and the source are all shorted together.,and is in series with the main switch.

For Dummy transistor I short the gate, source and bulk together. Should I connect it to ground or substrate for NMOS? Also I guess for regular switches not to be used in switch cap circuits there is no need fo dummy, right?

Thanks

Dear ccw27,
We are talking digital CMOS process and not twin tub. As for NMOS in digital cmos process (N-well) substrate is shorted to ground.
FOr NMOS u could do 3 things,
1. Tie all together and tie to VDD
2. Tie all together and tie to GND or Substrate
3. Tie D and S to Gnd and G to VDD get a CAP

I would prefer using 3 as it would aid my decoupling caps.
Hope it helps

Dummy Transistor

dummy transistors are used for switch cap circuits

Dummy transistors are placed in the layout for better matching. They are required if you are using interdigited or common centroid stuctures in your design.
The layout software i work with is L-Edit from Tanner EDA and it has a default p-substrate (since i use single n-well CMOS process). If your dummy transistor is NMOS, then the body of it is automatically connected to ground.

In CMOS bandgap is it advisible to surround diodes with dummy transistors? If yes, does it have to be the same size? Wouldn't that increase the size a lot?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back