Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the role of Perl in VLSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meetspraveen

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey any one tell me wat is the role of perl etc in VLSI?give me document related to that to study from basic?

Re: perl

mostly perl is used for verification puporse- to drive the regression and analyze log files.
sometimes desiners also use it...
It's gud to learn perl, as it helps a lot in minimizing your efforts and automizing your tasks.

PERL is a scripting language used in scripting the codes flow,verification environment,testbench driving etc.........

good to learn PERL..........

there are some docs regarding usage of PERL and scripting languages here in this forum ...........

just search for those............

perl is one of important skill for asic design engineer.
I used perl script to do many things:
--to generate repetitive RTL coding,
--to generate input test pattern,
--to run simulation,
--to check simulation result,
--to modify/mange data file.

We have used PERL to process the logfile of NCsim's output, but that code was written by someone else. I understand the power of PERL, but it seems it takes a lot of effort to maintain. In our case, if the simulator exited with some previously-never-before-seen condition, that condition would have to be added to the PERL-script, so it could properly detect and report it.

Well, our team's PERL programmer made the 'default' (fallthrough) case report an ERROR (cause: UNKNOWN), so it's not like we'd miss errors.

ray123, could you list some simple examples where PERL helped? (Note, I'm not asking for the actual PERL-code, just a brief overview where PERL made your life easier!)

Thank you.

check this website, they have some useful perl script for asic design.
http://www.kwcpa.com/tools/

perl is as power as C, but perl is as easy as BASIC to use.

perl

Pearl is a master file processor. In VLSI it is mostly used as pre-simulation file processing and post simulation file processing
Sumit

Added after 1 minutes:

Another thing I forgot. If u have a SystemC/C++ Test bench the perl can be called through its C/C++ API and can be used online for data formatting also.
Sumit

Perl is a scripting language. In VLSI we go for coding in VHDL/Verilog. Perl comes handy as to generate real time test vectors that to be used in the Varification of the design. We can have better interface with verilog for verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back