Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the maximum tolerable offset, without digital error correction, in comparator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suhas_shiv

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I have a question regarding comparator offset in Pipeline ADC. What is the maximum offset u can tolerate with and without digital error correction?

Books I have read say +-Vref/4 with error correction. Suppose my input is 1V differential signal, does that mean max offset tolerable is +-0.125V( since Vref =0.5V and Vref/4=0.125V). Thanks for the help.

comparator Offset

Dear Suhas,

I think that it depends on the number of bits you resolve in each stage of the pipeline. Vref/4 would apply to about 2 bits per stage, if I am not wrong. Also, the residue gain is also critical in defining the required offset.

comparator Offset

I am using the 1.5bits per stage architecture and hence the gain in each stage would be 2.

comparator Offset

Then you would require the offset limitation to be about Vref/4 for your comparators

Re: comparator Offset

Vamsi Mocherla said:
Then you would require the offset limitation to be about Vref/4 for your comparators
can you tell me why is Vref/4?
and what kind of references I should read???

Status
Not open for further replies.