Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the difference between S and Active S in HFSS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

juzhen

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss active s-parameters

Hello,everyone!
Now I'm doing some research about phased array antenna with HFSS. When I see the report, the S Parameter and Active S Parameter (VSWR and Active VSWR)puzzle so much ! which one I should pay attention to ??

Appreciate for your answer!!

active s is the reflection coefficient of one port when another port is excited...

for example, a 2 port system ,the total reflect wave at port 1 is S11*V1+S12*V2
the total reflection coefficient is total reflect wave at port 1 over total incident wave at port 1,then reflect coefficient is (S11*V1+S12*V2)/V1,which is the active S(1:1)

active s is the reflection coefficient of one port when another port is excited...

for example, a 2 port system ,the total reflect wave at port 1 is S11*V1+S12*V2
the total reflection coefficient is total reflect wave at port 1 over total incident wave at port 1,then reflect coefficient is (S11*V1+S12*V2)/V1,which is the active S(1:1)

ok. you are the closest thread to what I am trying to do. I understand how Active S is calculated, but how is it used in HFSS? I am trying to match a 5-element dipole array to achieve max power transmission using Active Z parameter values. I have all 5 ports excited, run simulation, read the re and im values for Active Z for each port, then enter them as the input impedance for each lumped port, then re-run simulation. Still not all incident power get accepted, which means more power is reflected.
Am I doing something wrong? perhaps not using Active Z parameters correctly? I tried to zero the excitation power for all ports except one and get the Active Z value just for the excited port, then move to next port and do same thing, but that didn't improve the results.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back