Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the difference between a flashlamp and +9 volt lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why does a strobe circuit use a Diac and triac?

Why does a strobe circuit need a trigger transformer?

Whats the difference between a Flashlamp VS a +9 volt Lamp? besides the voltage how are they lighting differences , what does a flashlamp do different?

Strobe circuit theory:

1.) the trigger pulse is 4 kV
2.) Discharge durations for common flashlamps are in the microsecond
3.) xenon flash lamp
4.) pulse transformer or 4KV Trigger Transformer
5.) The stoboscope tube needs about 250-400V DC to operate
6.) triac which can handle at least 1A and 400V
7.) 150 uF 400V flash capacitor
8.) The flash rate is variable from zero to about 10 Hz

capacitor surge diac

> cause it needs to drive a trigger transformer

> cause it's different from other lamps

Whats the difference between a Flashlamp VS a +9 volt Lamp? besides the voltage how are they lighting differences , what does a flashlamp do different?
> see wikipedia.org

ldr with diac application

> cause it needs to drive a trigger transformer

How does a Diac and Triac DRIVE the trigger transformer? in what way different?

In What way is it different than other lamps??

heimann trigger coils

How does a Diac and Triac DRIVE the trigger transformer? in what way different?

In What way is it different than other lamps??

Diac's and Triac's are used in industrial facilities that they are run or they need an input of AC. They used to trigger the transformer connected to strobe light by firing a delay angle that cause a signal triggering.

the other lamps used a ballast that can easily trigger the electrodes in the lamps specially in fluorescent lamp.

flash lamp trigger

Thanks For the Help

connected to strobe light by firing a delay angle that cause a signal triggering

1.) What is this Delay angle? can you explain more please?

Diac's and Triac's they need an input of AC

2.) So Diacs and Triac can't run on DC input only AC?
But still why would i use a Diac or Triac for what?

3.) Whats the difference if i hook up a Flashlamp strobe up to a LDR light dependant resistor VS hooking up a +9 volt Lamp to a LDR light dependant resistor?

4.) What would the Flashlamp react or change different to the LDR? would it be the SAME as a LED or LAMP how it changes the LDR or would there be differences?

differentiate diac and triac

Xenon Strobe Light Circuit, Diac, Triac and LDR?

I still don't know why or how to use Diacs or Triacs in circuits or networks and why designers use them

How would a FLASHLAMP control the LDR different than a LED or LAMP?

strobe lamp drive capacitor

I have no flashlamp trigger circuit at hand, but it's so easy that I would assemble it always without a schematic. Basically a small capcacitor (some 10 nF) is discharged through a thyristor (I never used a triac, but it should work hopefully) and the primary winding trigger of the trigger transformer, producing a high frequent oscillation with several kV (up to 10 or 15 kV for larger flashlamp) at the secondary. The diac is used for a self oscillating trigger while in a photo flash the trigger impulse is sourced from the camera. Instead of a thyristor and a diac, also a gas discharge device (a surge arrester) can be used as self oscillating trigger switch.

The ignition mechanism and nature of the xenon gas discharge is described at wikipedia rather profound, to my opinion, so I don't have additional comments on it. The optical effect of pulsed light is a complete different topic. I'm not aware of particular effects with slow sensors as LDR, I would expect that they just average the energy as the human eye does. A clear difference is in the emitted spectrum. Xenon gas discharge has a spectrum up to far UV (below 200 nm), but it's filtered by the glas tube to visible and some UV A. Extreme care must be taken with quartz xenon flashlamps that may be used e. g. for high power stroboscopes for their better thermal properties. Their emission is eye-dangerous and must not be watched without a protective glas filter.

xenon strobe light circuit, diac, triac ldr

Thanks for the information

Whats the difference between a AC or DC transformer VS a trigger Transformer?

Whats so different about a trigger transformer?

strobe light circuit diac

What distinguishes a trigger transformer from other types of electronic transformers? Basically, it is application! As the word “trigger” implies, a trigger transformer is used in a circuit that initiates some sort of action or event. Once initiated, some applications may no longer require continued presence of a voltage to complete the action or event. Other applications may need the voltage but for a limited amount of time. Regardless, the application provides a voltage pulse to the trigger transformer’s primary. The trigger transformer’s turns ratio steps up or steps down the secondary voltage as needed. The trigger transformer’s secondary then supplies voltage or current to its load. The load is usually the gate of a semiconductor switch such as a transistor, F.E.T., S.C.R., etc.. The trigger transformer also provides voltage isolation between the primary side circuit and the secondary side circuit. Most circuit designers would refer to the trigger transformer as a type of pulse transformer.

triac slow flash

In addition, the typical construction of a flash light trigger transformer is from coupled air coils with a small ferrite rod. Due to the low winding inductance of the air coil, you get a high frequency resonance. I just remembered that I have also an instructive trigger transformer data sheet with typical circuit and a waveform. I misused the Heimann/PE trigger transformer to ignite a microwave plasma.

Attachments

• zs1052_1357.pdf
    97 KB · Views: 82

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back