Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Vdd for Fabrication processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

florescent

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
There are many different fabrication processes in manufactures.

Let’s say AMI06 (C5N) from MOSIS.

It says 5V applications. This is what I am confused with.

I interpret it Vdd max is 5v, which means that you can use any Vdd but less than 5v depending on your circuit design. Or is it vdd=5 only?

Please teach me.

florescent said:
I interpret it Vdd max is 5v, which means that you can use any Vdd but less than 5v depending on your circuit design. Or is it vdd=5 only?

Please teach me.
It means the process is optimized for 5V (usually ±10%) operation, but you may use lower vdd, e.g. 3.3V or even less. This results in less power consumption, but you'll loose speed and output drive capability.

If you use lower than recommended vdd, the function is under your sole responsibility, and you should simulate your design exhaustively, especially on w.c. slow/slow corner conditions.

5V max. for one transistor to prevent breakdown. If you have cascode, it's ok to increase the VDD. But you can always use lower VDD.

Thank you "erikl", and "psmon"

Both of you gave me a clear idea.

Since the speed is not a big matter for my application, I may use 3.3 or 2.5 then because it's too hard to multiply RF input voltage (100mV peak to peak wirelessly feeding) upto 5v for vdd without losing current so that enough power will operate the rest of my chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back