Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of signal is used by wireless Communication ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor43

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What type of signal is used by Wireless Communication ?

Hello All.

I would like to know what kind of signals do most communications like music stations, WiFi devices, Cell phones, wireless video cameras ? How do I find out whether the signal is digital or analog say for miniature wireless vidfeo cameras ? I have read the following Wireless internet (Wi-Fi), for instance, uses digital. AM and FM Radio uses analog. Cell phones are digital. Cordless phones can be digital or analog.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Any wireless communication device utilizes a radio-frequency "carrier" which is modulated to transmit analog (voice) or digital (TV. data, etc.) THere are many frequency ranges for different modes to communicate, from "long waves" (10-500 kHz) to short-wave (0.5 to 30 MHz), VHF, UHF, microwaves, mm-waves, now also terrahertz up to IR and optical.

To find out what is used for what, study Radio Communication, Wireless, etc. Find the ARRL Radio Amateur Handbook to learn more.

To "find out" which type of signal is transmitted in a particular frequency band, you need a complex test instrumentation, and a lot of knowledge. Study first!

@jiripolivka thanks for the reply. The publisher of the book you have recommended is an excellent series. I will likely buy this book. However can you tell me whether the 2000 version will suffice as opposed to the latest version which is 2013 ?

@vfone thanks for the link.

Last edited:

The basics you need are repeated and refreshed in every issue. I would look in a local library and check any issue they have. Buying the Handbook may seem expensive as it covers a lot of issues you may not need now, about equipment design, operating a station, wave propagation and antennas. If you get one, it will stay with you all life as a good reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back