Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what type of resistors and capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew257

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what are the recommended types of resistor and capacitor to construct active filters with. Does SMT have any advantages over through hole components?

Thanks

The R and C must be linear .
So Metal-Metal caps and poly res will be good

At high frequency poly resistor exhibits capacitive nature. If the foundry has BSR blocked salicide resistor, better use it as it has almost zero temp coeff.

andrew257 said:
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what are the recommended types of resistor and capacitor to construct active filters with. Does SMT have any advantages over through hole components?

Thanks
MIM cap is the best,i think

use poly resitor and n-well resistor together.
Divide your total resistor into this appropriate two parts. So that, the negative temperature coefficient of poly res cancels with positive temparature coefficient of nwell resistor

Most of the replies you have gotten seem to assume you are designing the filter inside an IC. Based on your question on SMT vs through-hole, I presume you are designing a discrete filter. If so, you need to pay attention to the accuracy and temperature coefficient of both the resistors and caps. Good resistors are not difficult to find. Good caps are a little more difficult. Generally the ceramic caps are not real great. Polypropylene caps might be the right choice for accurate filters. These are pretty large and generally available as through-hole styles. As always, the details of the requirements for your filter will dictate the components needed. If the filter does not need high accuracy, the use of ceramic caps might be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back