What to use as a heatsink and how to connect heatsink with regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tia_design

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my circuit, I used several voltage regulator, do I need heat sink?
Can I just layout a copper area as heat sink?
Actually, I don't know the conections between regulator and heatsink. Any help
is appreciated. And the heatsink is not expected to be too big. Thanks

Re: Heat sink Problem

yeah copper area under the chip/ vias to ground/ are some of the optionsbut check the datasheet of the regulator, they will definitely specify the thermal dissipation recommendations. and they should have the relationship between copper area/ temperature rise.

some chip may have exposed paddle under the chip and that may need to be connected to the copper on the board. so verify the datasheet.

The regulator data sheets will show how to do thermal calculations. If you dissipate more than a few tenths of a Watt, you will need some form of heat sink. With over a Watt, you will need a real heat sink, not just copper on the PC card.

what is the part # of the regulator you are using ?

Yes, copper is used extensively as a heatsink, especially with surface-mount devices. Some devices have special pads that must be soldered to a copper area for efficient cooling.

You must calculate the required copper area based on the power dissipation, maximum ambient temperature and maximum allowable junction temperature (usually 100°C).

Take a look at this appnote AND8036-D from ON Semi. (Others can be found at National, for instance). The second part deals with surface mount packages and even give calculation examples.
www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/AND8036-D.PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…