Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to expect without the optical fiber ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Setting a pair of these one in front of the other with sight of their optical ports aligned, no optical fiber ?
Would it be an over-the-air optical LAN link ?

----> **broken link removed**

Now, what to expect if the optical ports were fitted some lens instead of the fiber connector, like to diverge/sense a wider angle ?
Would some wider dispersion be achieved ?

Same for USB-to-light converters... ----> http://www.ratioplast.info/index.php/en/productlinie/product/view/163/900
For doing an over-the-air link within a room.

Thank you, FvM. Good informative link.
Thought that the emitters being more powerful than a plain TV remote, range could be larger than for a TV control. But multipath reflections becoming problematic at high data rates.

IT remote control uses high transmitter current and very sensitive, low bandwidth receiver.

I used a narrow-beam led (bright orange) to flash at a photosensing circuit across the room. I amplified the photodiode signal but to get reliable operation I had to mount a magnifying glass in front of the photodiode.The magnifier was 1 inch diameter with focal length a couple inches.

Transmission rate was very low, only 10 flashes per second maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.