Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What SMPS bandwidth means ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahil_khan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear guys

Can some body clarify/explain to me;

What does the bandwidth of SMPS means ? For example, if we look at the open loop bode plot of LC buck converter, we can see after the corner frequency there is a -40dB/decade slope which actually shows the attenuation of the signals after the corner frequency. Since we want for good filtering that all the signals should be attenuated and only DC component should be available at the output of a buck converter, in this scenario the bandwidth of a power supply should be as much smaller as possible in order to attenuate all the signals (but in practical high bandwidth power supplies are desired) WHY So ??

Thank you all.

Regards
Sahil

BUCK CONVERTER
FREQUENCY COMPENSATION
CIRCUIT
BUCK CONVERTER
FREQUENCY COMPENSATION
CIRCUIT

You can tell it's time to compensate a switch-mode power supply. Beads of sweat form on your brow. You reach for a handful of R and C components. You strain to remember some control theory you read long ago. I should know, it happens to me every time. But then you dive in, you struggle, and eventually - out of the ringing and oscillations - comes a response that begins to look normal. This topic pulls together a series of SMPS adventures - the Buck Converter - Voltage Control Mode, and the Buck Converter - AC Model - with frequency compensation as the final topic.

and more details please check below link.

http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/smps_buck_comp/smps_buck_comp.htm

@sandipm14; Sorry, I did not get the answer for my question.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I still do not understand can you explain please?

Status
Not open for further replies.