Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What make military spec IC so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

picotube

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
military spec for ic

Can someone tell why military spec ICs are so expensive compared to commercial/industrial spec ICs?

For example, Floating-Point Digital Signal Processors from TI are quoted as follows:

TMSC6701GJC16719V
USD124.66

SMJ320C6701GLPW14
USD849.98

As we can see, the military spec DSP is about 6.8 times more expensive than that of commercial/industrial DSP.

THe operating conditions for military grade Chips are different... it has to operate reliably(very very reliably) in higher temperatures(eg: IC used in satellites,automobiles)....if u checkout the max operating temperature of military grade product it will be much higher than an ordinary counterpart..

well I think for high reliablity and worst operating conditions ,the CMOS process used is complex compared to industrial grade ICs...

Also the number of pieces in military grade quality will be much less than industrial grade ICs .. that also adds to cost

rgds

IC for military purpose can be classified according to application field:
1), used in land;
2), used in marine;
3), used in aviation;
4), used in spaceflight;
IC for spaceflight is most expensive;

their working temperature is different.

There are tests that have to be performed on 100% of the products and record keeping requirements.

Usually is the process use for making the chip and also the material (i.e. ceramic), like for example Quicklogic QL4090 cost around £150 for the commercial part (plastic) but for the military part it cost around $450 (ceramic) and also the demand for military is for less with comparison to commercial i.e. supply and demand. Most military project requires the product to withstand certain temperature range i.e. NATO Eurofighter -55 to 96 celsius and also require the IC to be CMOS as it will withstand radiation. You probably can find more information in the internet about the subject.

Hey, it's simple. The military is a rich guy, that's why the chip company can charge more. Tell me what's the difference betweeen a military toilet seat and a regular toilet seat? why it cost 600 dollars ?

wmlaketahoe said:
Hey, it's simple. The military is a rich guy, that's why the chip company can charge more. Tell me what's the difference betweeen a military toilet seat and a regular toilet seat? why it cost 600 dollars ?

lolzzzzzzzzzzzz

we arent talking about toilet seats here. this maybe a factor in the price being so high. but mainly the millitary parts have a larger temperature range and are more relaiable

...in the internet about the subject...

eziggurat said:
Usually is the process use for making the chip and also the material (i.e. ceramic), like for example Quicklogic QL4090 cost around £150 for the commercial part (plastic) but for the military part it cost around $450 (ceramic) and also the demand for military is for less with comparison to commercial i.e. supply and demand. Most military project requires the product to withstand certain temperature range i.e. NATO Eurofighter -55 to 96 celsius and also require the IC to be CMOS as it will withstand radiation. You probably can find more information in the internet about the subject.

Where it is possible to look particularly the information about military spec IC and device on this IC?

I am sure you can type it in google. try typing "military temperature range IC"

I think there are four reasons:
1. difference on operation temperatures
2. high reliability
3. low volume of production
4. rich buyer

You guys forgot one: labor and time costs involved in testing, evaluation, analyzing for the project company is doing for military exceeds the comercial sector.

One more thing military wants the chip itself for example! designed so no one to replace (or know) with regular commercial grade chip in event of theft, capture of weapon etc.

plus there is of course "milk-in the system" procedures, where companies exploit a thing or two to get a dollar more from government.

Do you think 'student' can buy military-spec ICs from manufacturer?

test is more stringent, reliability factor, higher grade silicon, radiation hardened environment requirement, less user compared to commercial, etc

You can download the new MIL-STD-883F from here. This site may not be accessible from some countries.
**broken link removed**

After you finish reading all that stuff, you'll want more money too!

salam:
its specifications , it workc in complex conditions

military chip must meet very strigent operation conditions, in the meanwhile, small order and rich defense companies make it much more expensive.

picotube said:
Do you think 'student' can buy military-spec ICs from manufacturer?
Why not? If you have the money then what is stopping you?
Commercial grade IC's should be ok for you. Militaries have budgets in cash from minimum of 10% (Japan) to 60% (USA) of country revenues. There is a lot of research expenses in army.

Or let me put it this way:

You need a pair of shoes. Shoes sold in Sears stores are okay for everyday use. Shoes in a fashion store are in far better-quality than those in Sears, you indeed find out they are better, but cost 10 times higher. What would you do?

hi

They r really expensive because they r all very complex, complex in the sense it has to adapt or withstand to different climatic conditions. Designing such chips does really costs.

djalli said:
Militaries have budgets in cash from minimum of 10% (Japan) to 60% (USA) of country revenues

what :eek:

USA spends 60% of its budget for defense ???????????

oh my!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back