Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What items start mattering as PCB layer count (40+) increases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav1234

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking at a design that may require really high layer count, like 40+ layers. The board will have traces like: 10GbE, SAS, PCIe...

My question is: What items start mattering as layer count increases so much?

(Sorry if the question is a bit weird, but trying to learn about things I should look out for)

Is it facetious to say "cost"? ;)

I admit I'm guessing since my own experience maxxes out at only 1/4 of that value but with such thick boards, mechanical aspects will start becoming significant. Electrically, the only things that spring to mind are via related: the inductance and DC resistance of a via spanning the entire board thickness will be considerable. This will need to be considered when routing high current/high frequency signals between layers.

Mechanically, a host of issues would (likely) arise:
* z-axis expansion will lead to significant geometry changes with temperature. Beware of via cracking and or bending/warping due to asymmetries.
* The thermal conductivity will strongly depend on the PCB substrate which may be an issue with power devices. The normal approach of thermal conduction through vias may be inadequate.
* The allowable aspect ratio of the drilling process will affect the minimum hole size. Check with the PCB manufacturer - some require the drill diameter to be as large as depth/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.