Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the voltage and current used by an electric heater and how to alter it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imad hatoum

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi my name is Imad hatoum and I have several questions that I need an urgent reply for them. I can't find the answers on the internet research but I found this website.
1- what is the voltage and current used by an electric heater and how this may be altered by the device.
2- ho wthis alteration is related to the resistance and power of the device.

thanks a lot
[/b]

Re: Electric heaters

This largely would depend on the components inside the heater, basically it uses a coiled "resistor" (usually just a steel coil) to produce heat, then its fanned outward.

The voltage and current, as I said are really relevant to the situation. I have seen them: 12v 300w (max output). Now that is straight from a car battery, so you get the 12vDC. I have also seen 120v @ 1500w (max still) for plugging into a wall.

The device usually has a control in the form of a dial. This is most likely a potentiometer (though I suppose you could use a variable resistor too?) Anyhow, this dial changes the amount of heat, by changing the resulting voltage/current across the coils.

That's pretty much all I know without some research. (even then it may be wrong so please don't take it as fact)

Electric heaters

You are trying top alter tyhe current/voltage of a heater by a "device".. what is the "device" you are planning to use? that will be helpful in knowing more...

Electric heaters

Hi, an electric heater may be one of the simplest circuits used in everyday life. Its working follow the fundamentl Ohm low where I=V/R, where as I gueess you already know, I is current, V is voltage and R is the resistance of the heater.

NOw, about your specific question, there are as many varieties of heater as you can imagine. It depends where you are pluging your heater, I mean to the outlets of your electricity distribution in your house, or like somebody mentioned, it maybe a battery powered heater, or if the voltage in your country is 110v or 220v.

In few words your question is too general. you didnt mention if you want to built a heater or if you want to modify an existing circuits. Therefore I am giving you a general answer.

Usually you have V fixed and I can be calculated from the Ohm law, therefore, your variable is R, and that is what heater controls do, switch the value of R, lets assume your heater has 3 resistor R1, R2, and R3 which have the same value r ohms. then you can have 3 different degrees of heat from your heater, using a connetor switch R can be R1 or R1+R2 or R1+R2+R3. By the way power is equal to P = V*I

If you think this info is helpful clickon "helped me" button for statistics

Sal

Hi~

Voltage is applied so as to make electrons move, which is so-called current. When electrons are moving, they collide with mother-atoms, which causes the momentum change. The energy obtained electrons in the electric field is transfered to mother-atoms. Simply speaking, the momentum of mother-atoms are called heat. Higher voltage will give electrons more momentum. More electrons will produce more sum of momentums. The suspetability of the momentum transferred from electrons to mother-atoms is also an important factor. The materials used for the electrical heating is determined considering these facts.

sine and DC all can be applied to heater (depent on heater material)

In a pure resistive circuit current and voltage are in phase i.e they start together from zero attend their peak values at same time (pi/2) then go to zero at same time (Pi) and so on
actually power is product of current and voltage so power is always positive mean delivered to load but not from load to source as in ideal pure inductive or pure capacitive load where current is lagging or leading respectively
i think electrick heater works on this principle
for best understanding refer to book which explain power and behavior of resistor inductor and capacitor

If the heater has a motor; variation in voltage can effect the motor'

Low voltage can overheat the motor --- odd as it may seem.

It then uses more amps .

Hope this is correct Geriatric mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back