Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the simplest communication scheme you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberblak

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

The subject says it all... Anyone has an idea on how to get simple commands between 4-5 systems?

It should be reliable, use 2 wires at most, and be able to travel a couple of hundred feet.

Thanks,

cyberblak

hello,

wireless is the best option for long distance , it is quit easy use a Fm transmitter,
and fm receiver is quit compact and easily avaible,

I would recommend microcontroller based serial communication...i have used it with a SHAPER IC CD-4093B and it easily works upto 1500-2000 feet easily

Can we cover the wirelles again?
I have a system which communicates with several small units all using μCs.
I want to change the cables and use wirelles. Can you give me a rugh plan of the wirelless system? In blocks and main chips I have to use?
Thanks
D.

In my case wireless isn't a option since the product needs to be ultra low-cost...

Too bad, I'd have had a lot of fun doing it :D

Are you talking about one "master" and 4 or 5 "slaves" (Master initiates and controls all communications)?

Mike

All options are open...

In fact the system's topology would lead to this option: there's one master and 4-5 peripherals. The peripherals only reports an event from time to time (the push of a button, per example), thus I don't see the master querying the slaves all the time.

thanks,

cyberblak

How about serial over RS485 using RJ14 or RJ45 modular connectors? RS485 is a relatively noise immune long distance half-duplex topology and you could even include power on the connectors to power the slave devices.

cyberblak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I'd vote for a RS-485 line. I made something similar for communication among 3 (up to 12) units under noisy conditions.
I used PIC MCUs with MAX481 transceivers.

Hi,

RS485 was my favorite option, actually. Using modular connectors is a good idea, it's far more convenient than fiddling with mini-terminal-blocks.

Ever had reflection problems with rs485 when you are not on a bus topology?

Thanks,

cyberblak

There is no problem with transmission if you are njt going to power these 5 system from same line . If it is - rs485 wont be your choice - go for X10 over power line or something similar and simple.

Yet your requirements are not clear enoguh - is this master slave or independent nodes . If latter - will need bus arbitrer based or token ring alike or random access with collision handling algorithms (X10 does allow that) protocols.

I don't get it
if he has power RS485 won't do the job?
why?
D.

cyberblak said:
Hi,

RS485 was my favorite option, actually. Using modular connectors is a good idea, it's far more convenient than fiddling with mini-terminal-blocks.

Ever had reflection problems with rs485 when you are not on a bus topology?

Thanks,

cyberblak
The company I used to work for had some small bar code reader terminals installed in the Labs and connected in an RS485 'star' to a multi-port 'master' controller. They worked fine. Distance from the 'master' was probably about 80 meters. I suspect each of the terminals had RS485 termination.

Take care. Regards, Mike

dkace said:
I don't get it
if he has power RS485 won't do the job?
why?
D.

I ment - if you have few devices with rs485 interface and need to power them from one place - you will need at least 4 wires not 2 (according to requirements in first post), but that is only for case if you dont have power a location of each device .
Yet it is preferred to have common ground connection between rs485 devices - that means 3 wires.

If above is not the case - rs485 will be OK.

Hi,

I've got 2 wires for the com, 2 for the power.

No problem there.

Thanks,

cyberblak

Status
Not open for further replies.