Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the purpose of the series resistor and external cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan76

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Buffer compensation?

HI

As it can be seen from the figure, it is a unit gain follower in essence. In addition to that, a small series resistor and a big external capacitance has been added.

What is the purpose of the series resistor and external cap? Some say it may improve phase margin. But how to analysize it? Thanks!

regards,
jordan76

Buffer design!!

hello there,

I have to design a source follower buffer for driving 50Ω load, its for wide band system, therefore, i've to use feedback system to get the broad bandwidth! But my buffer design is not so good, do you have any good materials about 'buffer design'........please?

MK28

Buffer compensation?

Hi, jordan 76
the res. and the cap. are for compensation the phase
margin, the designer want the dominate pole at the
last stage, to improve the stability.

Re: Buffer compensation?

alenhan said:
Hi, jordan 76
the res. and the cap. are for compensation the phase
margin, the designer want the dominate pole at the
last stage, to improve the stability.

Hi alenhan,

If so, then what is the use of the small series resistor?

Actually I want to know how to analyze the circuit's stability since
it is closed loop instead of open loop
. Any inputs about that?

Hi MK28,

If you can give more specific details, maybe I can give you some useful informaiton.

regards,
jordan76

Buffer compensation?

i think the small series resistor is a damping resistor to compesate bind wire inductor.

1. it is more likely a 1st order low pass filter, and it also generate a low freq. pole (~1/(r1*C)) which is also served as shunt feedback network to ur buffer.
2. the series resitor (16 ohm) must be the purpose of ESD protection.

mists said:
i think the small series resistor is a damping resistor to compesate bind wire inductor.

Hi mists,

Could you please explain a bit more about your point? Thanks!

regards,
jordan76

Added after 5 minutes:

Btrend said:
1. it is more likely a 1st order low pass filter, and it also generate a low freq. pole (~1/(r1*C)) which is also served as shunt feedback network to ur buffer.
2. the series resitor (16 ohm) must be the purpose of ESD protection.

Hi Btrend,

For your first point, I 100% agree!

For your second point, I asked some ESD experts and they said 16 Ohm might be too small for ESD protection, several hundreds Ohms more common.

Do you think the combination of series resistor and external cap will help improve the stability? If so, how to analyze it? Thanks!

regards,
jordan76

1. stability problem only come from closed loop, the ckt u asked has only a closed loop which is from buffer input to buffer output.
2. except the shunt feedback, there are no other feedback
3. u are right, it's true that 16 ohm is small for ESD purpose, but u can't use too high value, cause that will produce attenuation to your output, the gain is r1/(r1+Rs).
4. U can break the loop at the bufer output & in , and run ac simulation. to find out the effect of Rs to the phase margin.

Hi Fom,

Really good article except the figures are a bit blurry:) Thanks!

Also I find the following link:
"OP AMPS DRIVING CAPACITIVE LOADS"
https://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/31-2/appleng.html
And an applet for demonstrating stability effects in opamp buffers:
**broken link removed**

Below are some useful excerpts from it:
Out-of-loop compensation: Another way to stabilize an op amp for capacitive load drive is by adding a resistor, RX, between the op amp's output terminal and the load capacitance, as shown below.Though apparently outside the feedback loop, it acts with the load capacitor to introduce a zero into the transfer function of the feedback network, thereby reducing the loop phase shift at high frequencies. To ensure stability, the value of RX should be such that the added zero (fZ) is at least a decade below the closed loop bandwidth of the op amp circuit.

regards,
jordan76

but buffer has wide band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back