Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the main application of Perl language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bollu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

what is the main application of perl language.is it useful for layout automation.like making some block with a program or some thing in virtuoso.

Thanks,
bollu.

Re: perl usage...

hi.
the main purpose of PERl is file extraction &report generation.
it is also used create dynamic web pages.
if u have this kind of application go for PERL using whatever tool u use
regards
pandit

bollu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I had this same question when I was working on my thesis. PERL is an easy-to-learn-and-use language.

For example, if you have a netlist of an op-amp and for some bizzare reason your spectre does not provide intended result. Probably you want to check whether the instantiation of cells are correct. So you can write a PERL program which runs through the netlist tells you (if you programmed it right), whether such cells are actually present.

The above example may not be "correct" in logic sense but should help you perceive situation where you can use it.

Hi,
we can use perl to do some file processing.But with this we cant generate blocks in layout editor.If u r using cadence try skill language.It helps to automate the layout.
Regards,
Pramod

Perl is maily used for text process for its powerful character matching and
operating . I used it in my design work , such as :
1. script file for repeated and spending time work
2. generating report from the reportes generated by EDA work
3. text process , 2 write 2 large perl script program , one to
work as reverse logic synthesis . one to insert capicitance
with different value into the verilog netlist file

Perl is really userful

True that perl is very useful for repeated processes

It helps in cycle time reduction and very easy to learn as well.Just learn the syntax and start writing the program.

Yes PERL is a useful language for EDA

perl usage...

Perl, also Practical Extraction and Report Language (a backronym, see below) is a dynamic procedural programming language designed by Larry Wall and first released in 1987. Perl borrows features from C, shell scripting (sh), AWK, sed, Lisp, and, to a lesser extent, many other programming languages.

The overall structure of Perl derives broadly from the programming language C. Perl is a procedural programming language, with variables, expressions, assignment statements, brace-delimited code blocks, control structures, and subroutines.

Perl also takes features from shell programming. All variables are marked with leading sigils. Sigils unambiguously identify variable names, allowing Perl to have a rich syntax. Importantly, sigils allow variables to be interpolated directly into strings. Like the Unix shells, Perl has many built-in functions for common tasks, like sorting, and for accessing system facilities.

Perl takes lists from Lisp, associative arrays from AWK, and regular expressions from sed. These simplify and facilitate all manner of parsing, text handling, and data management tasks.

In Perl 5, features were added that support complex data structures, first-class functions (i.e. closures as values), and an object-oriented programming model. These include references, packages, and class-based method dispatch. Perl 5 also saw the introduction of lexically scoped variables, which make it easier to write robust code, and modules, which make it practical to write and distribute libraries of Perl code.

All versions of Perl do automatic data typing and memory management. The interpreter knows the type and storage requirements of every data object in the program; it allocates and frees storage for them as necessary. Legal type conversions are done automatically at run time; illegal type conversions are fatal errors.

Perl is widely used in finance and bioinformatics, where it is valued for rapid application development, ability to handle large data sets, and the availability of many standard and third-party modules.

If you are looking for layout automation,then SKILL would be the appropriate one.There are already many skill programs which the layout tool uses.In addition to that you can add some more pgms which would suit your automation needs.
There is already a doc in this board which would give a better idea on skill.

Regards,
ukint

does anyone have pdf document on perl

perl is mainly used in eda tools for automation of the repetative work that take long times while we are in design process ..... extraction from one file format to another format since one format of file may not be supported by other tool so inorder to link the file to the next tool for further process perl can be used.

so perl is much and more useful for eda desingers and vlsi designers...

visit this site u will come to know basic idea about scripting in eda tools ...

https://www.doulos.com/knowhow/perl/

kil

hi,

as the perl is used for automation in eda industry so i guess most of the scripts should be written only once and the same script can be used whoever needs to run that tool..............

so now we ppl must be using a script written by our seniors... only with some modifications of input ...output files... thats all what we do in scripting....?

pls comment on my above lines..........and correct me if i am wrong........

thanks,
Prasad

@bollu

we already have built in system functions in virtuoso which can be used for layout automation , here perl can only help u to call those functions . The same can be also done using Cadence built in Skill language .

Correct me if i am wrong

Amit

I use perl in my daily work. But only the simple features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back